Install SP1?

Thread: Install SP1?

Install SP1?

Should I install Service Pack 1 for Win XP? I remember reading bad stuff about it a while ago, but i can't remember what it was. Any suggestions?
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

Hey! For what it's worth, I'm running XP SP1 right now. I had no problems with it. There are indeed issues for it though, depending on what kind of computer you have. Certain brand names will not boot up if you install SP1 (can't remember if it's HP, Compaq, or what! you'll have to look it up). Other than that I have not heard many problems aboot it, or had any myself!

I installed it and it went smoothly. I run a generic computer with no proprietary anything. I'm not sure the reason, but I found myself with more disk space after the install. Haven't had a problem except with MSIE6, which was fairly quick before and is much slower after the MSIE patch was loaded.

I run XP pro corp with the sp1 installed. It put alot of patches that were needed. Their whole "removing ie" Is a big hoax, but hey, it works fine. I use Opera browser and Sygate Personal Firewall with AVG antivirus.....No problems whatsoever, Even with the Bugbear virus running rampant like it did a while back, I had no problems. I also keep up on all the updates, so it helps. As far as proprietary stuff, I run a gateway comp and had no problems.
    M$ support is like shooting yourself in the left foot and then putting a band-aid on the right one.

Developer Extraordinar
    I run XP SP1, and I've had a bit of problems...when ever I try to install things like mySQL or Apache. If I don't act quickly my computer freezes. I was thinking of un-installing it, but seen relized it would be a huge hassel. /me can't wait to go to his dad's with Linux. Yahoo! Anyway...I kinda got off topic. :| It's your prefrence. Back up your files and if you don't like it roll your system back, or unistall it.

MB
    Come to UnError.com

From the other groups that I monitor I think that If you have an OEM version of XP ( the box came with it installed ) you will have very little problems. If you have a clone box or your XP is an upgrade you "could" have more problems.
    Work... Some days it's just not worth chewing through the restraints...