Thread: Need help opening file...

Need help opening file...

I need help opening a file and it looking decent. Let me lay out the story for you:

First off, a fellow came in to me asking if I could get some files back from his formatted floppy disk, which I did for him. He had a bunch of important files involving records, sales, etc for his company.

After I did this for him, every time we try to open the files, which are all .doc WinWord files, they open up and look weird on the screen, not like they did before he formatted the disk.

I have attached a copy of one of the files. Can any of you try to open it on your computer or possible know a way to open this file w/o it looking all crazy and stuff? Thanks a ton. Any help is appreciated.

a couple of questions, since i get this a lot where i work:
    was the fellow using a mac?
    did he change the extension from what it should have been?

i believe what happens is that the formatting code gets corrupted or changed by another program

edit: looks like he used works... i have that on a machine somewhere, let me try that.
    Î ¢š ª J r MSWorks.Table.4 ô9²q ÿÿÿÿlô’ `}d dó’ 9 J hü’ þÿ
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Nah, he wasn't using a Mac, and I don't believe he changed the extension, although it might have been using Microsoft Works before instead of Word. Thanks.

Nevermind, I have what I need now.

I simply used the strings command in a *nix environment to view all the text that was needed. Thanks times a million to anyone who helped me on here or via IRC.