Thread: Truncated to 8.3 format

Question Truncated to 8.3 format

Hi!

My first post on this forum site.

My problem is as follows, and ofcourse it's on an XP system:

I suddenly get my apps to show up as truncated to 8.3 format in Task Manager and my firewall also suddenly starts requesting access for apps (in 8.3 name format) that have already been allowed and are in a list of allowed apps, but in long name format. What has happened for this to occure? I have tried one thing, dissabling 8.3 format in registry but does not help. I can't recall having done anything to my sys. BUT, I DID recieve a backdoor virus yesterday (Backdoor.Optix.Pro.12) and that one started a service and added (as always) an executable in RUN key in registry. I did delete both file and registry key b4 ever rebooting.

Any sugestions at all to what to do/try?
    .·´¯`·-·´¯`wayuu´¯`·-·´¯`·.
    \'To attain knowledge add something every day....
    ....to attain wisdom remove something every day.\'

You might want to look it up online because there have been a few virii/trojans on the net that makes more than one registry file. Try looking for any strange files in your registry, look them up online, and see what you can find. They make strange names too, so it's hard to tell. Be careful though, don't delete anything valuable or anything at all without knowing it is the second file.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Well, thx Spyder32
    Seems tho I'm not gonna get anyone who knows how to restore the truncation. It's annoying and some features in some (only 1 until now actually ) progs are not functioning, but everything else works as b4 except for the firewall asking for permission for same prog but in truncated form. I guess I'll try a repair installation too in a while, tho no hurry. Restore finds no changes.

Well, thx Spyder32
    Seems tho I'm not gonna get anyone who knows how to restore the truncation. It's annoying and some features in some (only 1 until now actually ) progs are not functioning, but everything else works as b4 except for the firewall asking for permission for same prog but in truncated form. I guess I'll try a repair installation too in a while, tho no hurry. Restore finds no changes.