Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: any suggestions

any suggestions

im new to security/programing stuff.....any suggestions on where to start learning......i want the knowledge and understand that i have to work for it but i dont know where to start.....any suggestions would be appreciated.

thanks

Banned
    learn C++ in 28 days, VB for dummies, & Hacking exposed.... these are good books. It also helps to read about TCP/IP, networking, unix. Read... read... read... It also helps alot if you play around with your PC a bit so you can actually 'SEE' what peaple are talking about.

If all else fails you can find just about anything at google.

er0k
    fisiks >>> i suggest that you use google, search around for various tutorials on subjects you might want to learn. Hang out on Linux websites, even if you arent a linux person, you will learn alot around there. i suggest www.sourceforge.net, www.linuxplanet.com, >AO<, erm.. various irc servers where you can get help, for instance services.antionline.com or irc.antionline.com 6667, you will need an irc client such as mIRC which you can get at www.mirc.com , erm.... theres so much you can learn, so much to look at. I suggest you learn by doing, get an old computer or something and mess with it. Reformat the harddrive, install new os's, play with them, figure out *what* there programs do and how to use them. And as for programming, i suggest you start trying out C++, go to www.download.com and type in devc++, and download the compiler, then go to various places like www.cprogramming.com for help. i also suggest you figure out how to webserve, its really easy. you can get an ip update client from www.no-ip.com and download that for win32 or whatever you are using. what it does is basically converts your ip, say its 127.0.0.1 it would read yournameorwhateverelsehere.no-ip.com as an example, and that could be your servers address. download apache, www.apache.org , or even if you really get into programming, you can do webdesign with php, which you can get it at www.php.net. herm.... what else.... id read some old A+ certification manuals, and that will teach you quite a bit at how computers work. hrm... i also have a question for you.... how bad do you want this? it takes alot of patience, and a lot of motivation/time. you be the judge if its right for you, i suggest it, its better than any other lame ass hobby or job.

Ninja Code Monkey
    I always suggest you start by learning your os inside and out. Then possibly learn a programming language or networking. When done with one, then go to the other. Lather, rinse, repeat....

Hacking exposed and so on are ok....but can be a pain if you don't understand the basics already. They can however give you a jumping off point for areas of study.

Programming language wise, if you are on windows I'd suggest looking into vb or c++. Vb is fairly easy to pick up and can be used as vbscript to automate alot of your tasks in your os.....which will also teach you a little about how com works (windows is built on com), possibly wmi, active directory, etc.

If *nix, perl is always a good choice (and can be used on windows), c++, etc. There are a ton of languages to play with there and plenty of information on the net. Just search google for 'source code' or 'tutorials' for your language of choice and you can find quite a bit of information.

For learning networking, grabbing a book on the network+ certification put out by comptia can be handy. It isn't the biggest or the best cert...but it will give you the basic networking info you need to grow. You don't even have to go for the cert, the study guide by itself can be great for learning and can give you more structure in your studies.
    "When I get a little money I buy books; and if any is left I buy food and clothes." - Erasmus
    "There is no programming language, no matter how structured, that will prevent programmers from writing bad programs." - L. Flon
    "Mischief my ass, you are an unethical moron." - chsh
    Blog of X

got the mirc program and have installed it what now?

er0k
    you open it up, and whenever that little screen pops up with the authors picture there, you exit out of it. then another screen should come up, like a popup in the middle. Click add, and then you will have:

Description: Type in whatever name of the server you want in there, not the server, but like the Name, IT should say "New Server" there, you could erase it and put Antionline there, or whatever you want.

Server: irc.antionline.com or whatever you are connecting to.

then change your username to whatever you want, and click connect. there you go.

Some of the best books I have read on the subject of security are the hacking exposed range

They can be found at herehttp://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/se...084093-9480760. I have yet to find any other book(s) that come close.

For web security try www.owasp.org

lastly you must have a look at www.securityfocus.com as it is the most update security site I know

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"

Just a bit of input on the programming language. Having not really been a programmer I decided to learn a language (learned Fortran in College but forgot most of it). While VB and C++ are more powerful languages I was steered towards Perl by a co-worker and have found it great.

It is a powerful scripting language and for starting out in this area its strength is in the utilities for parsing, string manipulation, etc. which means some of the early blocks I ran into in C++ are taken care of for me in Perl.

This has allowed me to move forward further and faster in the world of Networking and Web interfacing than I was able to learning C++. I figure after I get to where I understand the programming better it will be easier to learn the syntax differences and move to other languages such as C++ or VB but for starting out I am really enjoying the power and clarity of Perl. BTW I am using perl on a Windows system and it works great.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

-> FISIKS, the above advice is good and I am only adding to it.

-->A GREAT BOOK, perhaps better than all those mentioned above, is SECURITY ENGINEERING by Ross Anderson. It's not a tachnical book, it's an overview that touches many aspects of security, from smart cards to networks, from ATMs to military radar installations. A panoramic view of a large and varied subject. get it before its no longer available.

->Also, read the forum repeatedly, and if you hang out in the live security chat, have another window open with the forum so you can read about what they talk about. Talk less than you listen, and soon you will gain alot of insights just from the discussion. If you go in asking questions that many users know are in the forum, you won't get very far.

->any tool you download and employ can bring repercussions on you. read about them first then use them wisely. like a gun that can be used for good or ill, make sure you behave responsibly.

Have a good day
    Obey All Orders Without Question...The comfort you\'ve demanded is now mandatory. --Jello Biafra

-> FISIKS, the above advice is good and I am only adding to it.

-->A GREAT BOOK, perhaps better than all those mentioned above, is SECURITY ENGINEERING by Ross Anderson. It's not a tachnical book, it's an overview that touches many aspects of security, from smart cards to networks, from ATMs to military radar installations. A panoramic view of a large and varied subject. get it before its no longer available.

->Also, read the forum repeatedly, and if you hang out in the live security chat, have another window open with the forum so you can read about what they talk about. Talk less than you listen, and soon you will gain alot of insights just from the discussion. If you go in asking questions that many users know are in the forum, you won't get very far.

->any tool you download and employ can bring repercussions on you. read about them first then use them wisely. like a gun that can be used for good or ill, make sure you behave responsibly.

Have a good day
    Obey All Orders Without Question...The comfort you\'ve demanded is now mandatory. --Jello Biafra