Thread: Yahoo messenger

Yahoo messenger

Hello out there. I wasnt sure where to post this so I post here. I logged onto my yahoo messenger and noticed that there was a new person added on to it, but I never added this person on. Goes by the addy trOubl3mak3r and I have no memory of chatting with him either but that might be cause I have a bad memory I was wondering if I should be worried or unplug and scan everything with everything? Will do anyways

The (nearly the mine) paranoid reaction:
    - reinstall your OS
    - change all your passwords.

A more convenient reaction:
    - update your AV software and check all your hdds.
    - update your firewall and watch the logs.
    - change your Yahoo password.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

The (nearly the mine) paranoid reaction:
    - reinstall your OS
    - change all your passwords.

A more convenient reaction:
    - update your AV software and check all your hdds.
    - update your firewall and watch the logs.
    - change your Yahoo password.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

The best thing to do is remove him/her from your list and fire up your anti-virus. Most likely it could be a strange glitch, I had the same thing happen to me a while back with msn. It turned out that the email address that I didn't add wasn't even an account. If you are feeling extra paranoid, you could always change your password, just in case. I wouldn't be too worried though.

PS: I did a quick member search on trOubl3mak3r, and I didn't find anything.
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates

The best thing to do is remove him/her from your list and fire up your anti-virus. Most likely it could be a strange glitch, I had the same thing happen to me a while back with msn. It turned out that the email address that I didn't add wasn't even an account. If you are feeling extra paranoid, you could always change your password, just in case. I wouldn't be too worried though.

PS: I did a quick member search on trOubl3mak3r, and I didn't find anything.
    RedTheFed

\"If you can\'t make it good, make it look good.\" - Bill Gates

Old Fart
    Hmmmm...good advice above, but in addition you should consider a good trojan scanner also. As an example, you can get a 30 day trial of Tauscan at www.agnitum.com . That way, if this person has planted a trojan or a key logger, you have a pretty good chance of finding it. Hope this helps.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Old Fart
    Hmmmm...good advice above, but in addition you should consider a good trojan scanner also. As an example, you can get a 30 day trial of Tauscan at www.agnitum.com . That way, if this person has planted a trojan or a key logger, you have a pretty good chance of finding it. Hope this helps.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

I updated everything and scanned then redid it all......twice even! The trojan scanner found a keylogger and nothing else so I am going to change all passwords and ponder reinstalling my OS (Windows 2000 Pro) I know MS sucks but I am new to the whole computer thing but I am getting better everday thnx for the help all.
    I thought I safe inside, all doors locked but windows are wide open!

I updated everything and scanned then redid it all......twice even! The trojan scanner found a keylogger and nothing else so I am going to change all passwords and ponder reinstalling my OS (Windows 2000 Pro) I know MS sucks but I am new to the whole computer thing but I am getting better everday thnx for the help all.
    I thought I safe inside, all doors locked but windows are wide open!