RAM Problems
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RAM Problems

RAM Problems

Theres something eating up all my ram on my comp. At any time no less than 80% of it is being used (usually around 95%) even after I shut down every program I can find running. When I open the task manager in Win 2k advanced server and click on processes I see the main culprits are "System Idle Process", "Issas,exe", "rtvscan.exe", "NISSERV.exe", and "svchost.exe". I can't end any of these processes so could anybody tell me what these processes do and why they're using so much memory and how (if possible I can stop them).
    I've got 128mb of SDRAM if it makes a difference.

Also the strangest thing is I'm having the same problems when I run win 98 and RH Linux 7.3 on the same machine. If I try to run any program under any of the OS's it either runs very very slowly or crashes the whole system.

Any help is much appreciated.
    live life, don\'t just endure it

As I don't know "rtvscan.exe" and "NISSERV.exe", I firstly thought to a virus or a trojan. But if the problem is still present with Linux, I bet it is an hardware problem. Isn't your RAM corrupted? It happened to me. The hdd? It doesn't sound like if it was the hdd, but it's not impossible.

You should try with another RAM and verify if the problem is still here.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

As I don't know "rtvscan.exe" and "NISSERV.exe", I firstly thought to a virus or a trojan. But if the problem is still present with Linux, I bet it is an hardware problem. Isn't your RAM corrupted? It happened to me. The hdd? It doesn't sound like if it was the hdd, but it's not impossible.

You should try with another RAM and verify if the problem is still here.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Well, personally, I wouldn't recommend you use Win2000 Advanced Server with just 128 MD or SD-RAM. I would've pointed that out as a problem to you. But you seem to be having the same problem in 98 and RH too, so hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I don't know. Maybe your RAM is faulty. If you have another box lying around then pop in the RAM module from that one, or ask a friend to help you out.

As for the 'culprits' you mentioned, they are all SYSTEM services, and I don't think theres much you can do about them. Though if you go to this link here , you will find a list of services that you could probably disable on your PC. This may help. Though this link DOES pertain only to workstations.

Well, personally, I wouldn't recommend you use Win2000 Advanced Server with just 128 MD or SD-RAM. I would've pointed that out as a problem to you. But you seem to be having the same problem in 98 and RH too, so hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm... I don't know. Maybe your RAM is faulty. If you have another box lying around then pop in the RAM module from that one, or ask a friend to help you out.

As for the 'culprits' you mentioned, they are all SYSTEM services, and I don't think theres much you can do about them. Though if you go to this link here , you will find a list of services that you could probably disable on your PC. This may help. Though this link DOES pertain only to workstations.

I'm guessing here, but Windows 2000 Advanced server probably isn't a good choice for a machine with 128Mb of RAM. Having run Windows 2000 before in the past, I'd say that even on a workstation, about 90Mb of memory gets used before you start anything up - probably more on a server. If you've paid the 2500 for Win2k Advanced server, you can probably afford a bit more memory.

Plus Win2k AS is probably tuned to use more RAM (to gain performance on higher spec machines) for buffers and stuff.

My guess about Linux and Win98 is that their problems are unrelated to the win2k issue. Win98 generally uses much less memory than Linux or Win2k AS (Linux pedants who are about to correct me: In a typical graphical desktop configuration!).

How are you measuring the memory usage under Windows 98 and Linux? It's generally fairly difficult to have any meaningful measurement of how much memory a program's using individually (some would argue that the NT task manager doesn't produce very meaningful figures either)

Under Linux memory shown as "free" is genuinely free - it's not being used at all. Linux being sensible, recognises this waste and generally minimises the amount of "free" RAM there is, eventually using it all up as disc cache (this doesn't take memory away from real programs as it does give it back on demand). This means that some people panic, as they see the "free" memory gradually decrease to almost nothing after boot.

Only worry if swap usage gradually increases.

I'm guessing here, but Windows 2000 Advanced server probably isn't a good choice for a machine with 128Mb of RAM. Having run Windows 2000 before in the past, I'd say that even on a workstation, about 90Mb of memory gets used before you start anything up - probably more on a server. If you've paid the 2500 for Win2k Advanced server, you can probably afford a bit more memory.

Plus Win2k AS is probably tuned to use more RAM (to gain performance on higher spec machines) for buffers and stuff.

My guess about Linux and Win98 is that their problems are unrelated to the win2k issue. Win98 generally uses much less memory than Linux or Win2k AS (Linux pedants who are about to correct me: In a typical graphical desktop configuration!).

How are you measuring the memory usage under Windows 98 and Linux? It's generally fairly difficult to have any meaningful measurement of how much memory a program's using individually (some would argue that the NT task manager doesn't produce very meaningful figures either)

Under Linux memory shown as "free" is genuinely free - it's not being used at all. Linux being sensible, recognises this waste and generally minimises the amount of "free" RAM there is, eventually using it all up as disc cache (this doesn't take memory away from real programs as it does give it back on demand). This means that some people panic, as they see the "free" memory gradually decrease to almost nothing after boot.

Only worry if swap usage gradually increases.

I didn't know that about Linux (about minimising free space I mean). However the fact remains if I try to run any program under 98, 2k or Linux the program either runs very very slowly or else crashes the computer.

The reason I have advanced server on my machine is cause my father runs it in his (small) business and whenever he has a problem he rings me to solve it. I need access to the OS so I can find where to change settings (etc) and tell him exactly how to find it and fix the problem.

Now I want to get rid of 2k but I want to keep all the programs installed under it (re-installing everything is not an option + I've about 7 gigs of stuff I want to hold onto and my cd writer is broke and I have no zip drive). Any body got any suggestions of how to do this???

I didn't know that about Linux (about minimising free space I mean). However the fact remains if I try to run any program under 98, 2k or Linux the program either runs very very slowly or else crashes the computer.

The reason I have advanced server on my machine is cause my father runs it in his (small) business and whenever he has a problem he rings me to solve it. I need access to the OS so I can find where to change settings (etc) and tell him exactly how to find it and fix the problem.

Now I want to get rid of 2k but I want to keep all the programs installed under it (re-installing everything is not an option + I've about 7 gigs of stuff I want to hold onto and my cd writer is broke and I have no zip drive). Any body got any suggestions of how to do this???

run dxdiag and see how much RAM it says you have, compare that to the readout you get when POST tests your ram on startup, if it happens in all operating systems you try it with, it may be you have some ram corrupted and unusable, which would suck.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)