Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Router Identifying

Question about Router Identifying

I am wondering on techniques to indentify certain routers?

This is just something I'm doing at my school, and I am wanting to identify the type of router they are using and what version of software they are running.

Question about Router Identifying

I am wondering on techniques to indentify certain routers?

This is just something I'm doing at my school, and I am wanting to identify the type of router they are using and what version of software they are running.

There is usually a version command you can use when your logged onto a router. With Cisco Routers, you can type the command:

sh version

Sometimes you can determine the type of router from the login prompt, but I am unaware of any ways to determine what type/vesion of router it is without actually logging on to it.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

There is usually a version command you can use when your logged onto a router. With Cisco Routers, you can type the command:

sh version

Sometimes you can determine the type of router from the login prompt, but I am unaware of any ways to determine what type/vesion of router it is without actually logging on to it.
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

if u do find out it is a Cisco router i found a fine little article in 2600 that will allow you to overflow the router then have full configuration access which im guessing is what u want. if you would like more details just send me an AO msg and id be more than happy to give u a full description
    If you can cheat and get away with it you deserve to win

if u do find out it is a Cisco router i found a fine little article in 2600 that will allow you to overflow the router then have full configuration access which im guessing is what u want. if you would like more details just send me an AO msg and id be more than happy to give u a full description
    If you can cheat and get away with it you deserve to win

Some ciscos had a port that you could send crafted packets to to determine which version it was. This was strictly considered to be a bug (and easter egg for cisco's own people or software?)

Try a telnet fingerprinter (which will identify a particular brand perhaps?)

Alternatively have a look at SNMP. If it's enabled read-only for community "public", you might be able to read the IOS version regardless of who the manufacturer is.

Some ciscos had a port that you could send crafted packets to to determine which version it was. This was strictly considered to be a bug (and easter egg for cisco's own people or software?)

Try a telnet fingerprinter (which will identify a particular brand perhaps?)

Alternatively have a look at SNMP. If it's enabled read-only for community "public", you might be able to read the IOS version regardless of who the manufacturer is.

Nmap has OS detection that goes beyond OS. Check it out, tells you router brand and verison. www.nmap.org

u should use SNMP manage your router.

fingerprinter is only identify OS.

but SNMP is not security,it is use plaintext .

at a large network is offen use.