Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hacking: Luck or skill???

Hacking: Luck or skill???

Now over the years i have talked to a lot of people and have heard a lot of hacking tales ranging from the inexperienced to the elite.
    Something has recently occured to me after hearing this 14 y.o telling me how he "hacked" his school network. Basically he said he found an open app on one of the computers which had a cached password. Ironically it happened to be the Admin password. With that he gained access to one of his teachers folders in which this teacher stored his ftp password. To cut a long story short he defaced his teachers web site. I believe he was "lucky".
    Now on a higher scale what if a hacker were so stumble across a vulnerable server and use a simple exploit to gain complete control over a network. Is this skill?
    If there is a difference between skill and luck? And where do we draw the line?

Hacking: Luck or skill???

Now over the years i have talked to a lot of people and have heard a lot of hacking tales ranging from the inexperienced to the elite.
    Something has recently occured to me after hearing this 14 y.o telling me how he "hacked" his school network. Basically he said he found an open app on one of the computers which had a cached password. Ironically it happened to be the Admin password. With that he gained access to one of his teachers folders in which this teacher stored his ftp password. To cut a long story short he defaced his teachers web site. I believe he was "lucky".
    Now on a higher scale what if a hacker were so stumble across a vulnerable server and use a simple exploit to gain complete control over a network. Is this skill?
    If there is a difference between skill and luck? And where do we draw the line?

allow me to analogize,

when the 14yo finds where you add new weapons to the Quake source code, or change health or damage, he is in a sence, lucky.

John Romero on the other hand knows C, and has been staring at the code for Quake for so long that he can probably visualise the segments of code being executed as the game loads or plays.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

allow me to analogize,

when the 14yo finds where you add new weapons to the Quake source code, or change health or damage, he is in a sence, lucky.

John Romero on the other hand knows C, and has been staring at the code for Quake for so long that he can probably visualise the segments of code being executed as the game loads or plays.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

The kid, depending on personal opinion, can be classified as a lamer or cracker. Since no real work was involved, I would say he's a lamer. True acquired skills, such as programming or exploiting software/OS's, involve very little luck. Sure, a lazy or unexperienced administrator can make the job easier for a hacker, but depending on the knowledge of the supposed hacker and his/her intent, usually little luck is involved. One other thing, usually people who have the knowledge to exploit software/OS's are making good money in the computer field and have better things to do than become a black-hat hacker. It's late and I don't know if this makes any sense; I can't put into words what I'm thinking. Let me know if you would like any clarification.
    Have you filled out an ID-10-T or PEBKAK form lately?

The kid, depending on personal opinion, can be classified as a lamer or cracker. Since no real work was involved, I would say he's a lamer. True acquired skills, such as programming or exploiting software/OS's, involve very little luck. Sure, a lazy or unexperienced administrator can make the job easier for a hacker, but depending on the knowledge of the supposed hacker and his/her intent, usually little luck is involved. One other thing, usually people who have the knowledge to exploit software/OS's are making good money in the computer field and have better things to do than become a black-hat hacker. It's late and I don't know if this makes any sense; I can't put into words what I'm thinking. Let me know if you would like any clarification.
    Have you filled out an ID-10-T or PEBKAK form lately?

My opinion?

To hack a random system just to say you did it is luck.
    To hack a specific system to determine its weaknesses is skill.

IOW, luck won't make you any money.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

My opinion?

To hack a random system just to say you did it is luck.
    To hack a specific system to determine its weaknesses is skill.

IOW, luck won't make you any money.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

well xid is what your trying to say that u turn from lucky to skillful by having knowledge?
    If you can cheat and get away with it you deserve to win

well xid is what your trying to say that u turn from lucky to skillful by having knowledge?
    If you can cheat and get away with it you deserve to win