Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thumbs-up on security for Win2k

Thumbs-up on security for Win2k

Windows 2000 has passed all required tests for a security certification accepted in 15 countries, Microsoft announced Tuesday.
    While software vulnerabilities may still occasionally bug the operating system, the Common Criteria certification attests that the key software components of Windows 2000 meet a specific level of security. The effort to obtain the certification, which took almost three years and cost millions of dollars, shows that Microsoft is serious about security, said Craig Mundie, vice president and chief technical officer for the Redmond, Wash.-based software giant.

"For people that have questions about our level of investment and our level of effort, this is testament to...our commitment to security," he said.

The certification, which is maintained by an association of international standards bodies, could make Windows 2000 an easier sell to government agencies within the 15 countries that recognize the award--the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom among them.

Based on a set of Department of Defense specifications for trusted systems known as the Orange Book, the Common Criteria doesn't guarantee that an operating system or software application is bug-free, but that the development and support processes that created and maintain the product meet a certain level of standards.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-963776.html

Maybe 'trusted computing' is something Microsoft are serious about...hmm... nah

Thumbs-up on security for Win2k

Windows 2000 has passed all required tests for a security certification accepted in 15 countries, Microsoft announced Tuesday.
    While software vulnerabilities may still occasionally bug the operating system, the Common Criteria certification attests that the key software components of Windows 2000 meet a specific level of security. The effort to obtain the certification, which took almost three years and cost millions of dollars, shows that Microsoft is serious about security, said Craig Mundie, vice president and chief technical officer for the Redmond, Wash.-based software giant.

"For people that have questions about our level of investment and our level of effort, this is testament to...our commitment to security," he said.

The certification, which is maintained by an association of international standards bodies, could make Windows 2000 an easier sell to government agencies within the 15 countries that recognize the award--the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom among them.

Based on a set of Department of Defense specifications for trusted systems known as the Orange Book, the Common Criteria doesn't guarantee that an operating system or software application is bug-free, but that the development and support processes that created and maintain the product meet a certain level of standards.
    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-963776.html

Maybe 'trusted computing' is something Microsoft are serious about...hmm... nah

W2K safe hmmm .... in which perfect world ...even after apllying all the patches and updates I cannot see this being the case ...

-Just blowing off steam-

Gr33tz,

Cemetric
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

W2K safe hmmm .... in which perfect world ...even after apllying all the patches and updates I cannot see this being the case ...

-Just blowing off steam-

Gr33tz,

Cemetric
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Just a rant about Microsoft and the fiac

good find, powertoad5000.

****************DISCLAIMER****************
    These are just some opinions from a regular guy,
    don't blame me if you take offence on them.

The effort to obtain the certification, which took almost three years and cost millions of dollars
    Is it so hard to pay of the people from common criteria, couse i would never see microsoft pass all the criteria .

from this article
    In May, Sun Microsystems announced that its security-enhanced version of the Solaris operating system, Trusted Solaris 8, had gained Common Criteria certification. Apple has also announced that it's attempting to have its MacOS certified , and an open-source policy group hopes to act as a central authority to have Linux certified as well.
    So if sun beat 'm to it I don't see why Microsoft's PR ppl are patting their own backs at the fiac .

and talking about the fiac what a load of bullshit and the speakers , don't make me laugh..

remember this, that's their kind of security.. and I found even more holes, wich I'm not "allowed" to disclose at the moment.

If I were an Iraqui with bad intent and had internet, I could deface half the .gov and .mil sites out there..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Just a rant about Microsoft and the fiac

good find, powertoad5000.

****************DISCLAIMER****************
    These are just some opinions from a regular guy,
    don't blame me if you take offence on them.

The effort to obtain the certification, which took almost three years and cost millions of dollars
    Is it so hard to pay of the people from common criteria, couse i would never see microsoft pass all the criteria .

from this article
    In May, Sun Microsystems announced that its security-enhanced version of the Solaris operating system, Trusted Solaris 8, had gained Common Criteria certification. Apple has also announced that it's attempting to have its MacOS certified , and an open-source policy group hopes to act as a central authority to have Linux certified as well.
    So if sun beat 'm to it I don't see why Microsoft's PR ppl are patting their own backs at the fiac .

and talking about the fiac what a load of bullshit and the speakers , don't make me laugh..

remember this, that's their kind of security.. and I found even more holes, wich I'm not "allowed" to disclose at the moment.

If I were an Iraqui with bad intent and had internet, I could deface half the .gov and .mil sites out there..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Actually most other OS's have passed or will pass it soon. Again it is a marketing spin M$ wants to sell to dot govs trouble is their license plan sucks and costs big buck$. Now as one that pays my taxes I shutter to think their product dare compare to say Unix or other OS's, sorry I spent 3 years testing and applying their patches some with a patch for the patch. Means nothing M$ is scared because there is an end now to their corner of the market.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Actually most other OS's have passed or will pass it soon. Again it is a marketing spin M$ wants to sell to dot govs trouble is their license plan sucks and costs big buck$. Now as one that pays my taxes I shutter to think their product dare compare to say Unix or other OS's, sorry I spent 3 years testing and applying their patches some with a patch for the patch. Means nothing M$ is scared because there is an end now to their corner of the market.
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

Pardon my ignorance, but don't most exploitable sercurity holes come from applications being run on the system? With previous versions of Windows, there were programs shipped WITH the OS that contained nasty security holes (IE and Outlook come to mind).
    \'Cause London is drowning out and I live by the river.

Pardon my ignorance, but don't most exploitable sercurity holes come from applications being run on the system? With previous versions of Windows, there were programs shipped WITH the OS that contained nasty security holes (IE and Outlook come to mind).
    \'Cause London is drowning out and I live by the river.