Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Thumbs-up on security for Win2k

does anybody know what version of win 2k they are cosidering *secure*? the quotes didn't mention it. thanx

does anybody know what version of win 2k they are cosidering *secure*? the quotes didn't mention it. thanx

spark699420: According to SNP, it was Windows 2000 Professional, Server and Advanced Server. Apparently Datacenter server was not submitted for certification.

spark699420: According to SNP, it was Windows 2000 Professional, Server and Advanced Server. Apparently Datacenter server was not submitted for certification.

Here is an interesting article that someone sent me today concerning this very topic...

http://www.w2k.vt.edu/students/default.html

Even though Microsoft has passed several security certifications, I'm still not convinced that Microsoft has high enough standards as far as security goes...

Here is an interesting article that someone sent me today concerning this very topic...

http://www.w2k.vt.edu/students/default.html

Even though Microsoft has passed several security certifications, I'm still not convinced that Microsoft has high enough standards as far as security goes...

And How much did Microsoft have to pay to get them to say that they passed the test? Sorry, but I doubt microsoft can give me enough reasons to use their OS like I used to. Before I got into computers like I am now, I used M$ alot. I used to think when it froze that an actual insect/bug was in my computer gnawing on it. Now I know it's because their software sucks. Sorry, JMHO, and a little truth in there too! (Childhood thing)
    Space For Rent.. =]

And How much did Microsoft have to pay to get them to say that they passed the test? Sorry, but I doubt microsoft can give me enough reasons to use their OS like I used to. Before I got into computers like I am now, I used M$ alot. I used to think when it froze that an actual insect/bug was in my computer gnawing on it. Now I know it's because their software sucks. Sorry, JMHO, and a little truth in there too! (Childhood thing)
    Space For Rent.. =]

Smile

No need to post another thread really:

Just a single day after Microsoft got Common Criteria security certification for Windows 2000, they have reported two bugs in... Windows 2000

Microsoft Advisory MS02-063 -Unchecked Buffer in PPTP Implementation Could Enable Denial of Service Attacks
    Microsoft Advisory MS02-064 -Windows 2000 Default Permissions Could Allow Trojan Horse Program

The Register Article
    SNP Article

The second bug has been mentioned in this thread.

[edit]
    If anyone's interested, here's some of the assumptions made in the process of Common Criteria certification.
    [/edit]

Smile

No need to post another thread really:

Just a single day after Microsoft got Common Criteria security certification for Windows 2000, they have reported two bugs in... Windows 2000

Microsoft Advisory MS02-063 -Unchecked Buffer in PPTP Implementation Could Enable Denial of Service Attacks
    Microsoft Advisory MS02-064 -Windows 2000 Default Permissions Could Allow Trojan Horse Program

The Register Article
    SNP Article

The second bug has been mentioned in this thread.

[edit]
    If anyone's interested, here's some of the assumptions made in the process of Common Criteria certification.
    [/edit]