Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Linux on a win 98 box

here an interesting white paper on linex clients i ran across
    this might help you, might not...
    the whole thing is written in the perspective as a linex newbie, but takes you through trying to get your linex box to run what 98 will
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

here an interesting white paper on linex clients i ran across
    this might help you, might not...
    the whole thing is written in the perspective as a linex newbie, but takes you through trying to get your linex box to run what 98 will
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

When you get around to downloading a distro you might want to check out LinuxISO which has ISO files of most of the popular distros like Mandrake, Slackware, etc. Its probably a bit easier to download one large file using a download resumer than lots and lots of small ones, unless your on a super fast connection. Last time I checked I think they had RH8 up.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

When you get around to downloading a distro you might want to check out LinuxISO which has ISO files of most of the popular distros like Mandrake, Slackware, etc. Its probably a bit easier to download one large file using a download resumer than lots and lots of small ones, unless your on a super fast connection. Last time I checked I think they had RH8 up.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

Hi,

OK .. this might be a bit off topic but I see you guys talking about "redhat is good to begin with" ... now I've been using redhat for a reasonable time ...what would you guys recommend to me ( or for the more advanced user ) to be using as a replacement ... another kind of Linux distro or a BSD distro???

Sorry if it is off topic but I was just wondering!

Many thnx,

Gr33tz,

Cemetric
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Hi,

OK .. this might be a bit off topic but I see you guys talking about "redhat is good to begin with" ... now I've been using redhat for a reasonable time ...what would you guys recommend to me ( or for the more advanced user ) to be using as a replacement ... another kind of Linux distro or a BSD distro???

Many thnx,

Gr33tz,

Cemetric
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

When I first installed linux I had the exact same questions. The people here are great at answering them.

On mine, Windows can not see the linux partions , and as a default linux cannot see windows. You can mount the windows partition to linux if you want, either manually or have it configured to do so at the startup. I am not sure about how to get the windows to access the linux. I'm sure it can be done.

When I first installed linux I had the exact same questions. The people here are great at answering them.

On mine, Windows can not see the linux partions , and as a default linux cannot see windows. You can mount the windows partition to linux if you want, either manually or have it configured to do so at the startup. I am not sure about how to get the windows to access the linux. I'm sure it can be done.

Originally posted here by Cemetric
    Hi,

Many thnx,

Gr33tz,

Cemetric
    BSD. Preferably Open BSD, but Free BSD is also good...

and shipma, i agree with owensleftfoot, Mandrake is definitely the way to go for you.. but if you do end up having to partition it yourself, you make three partitions(actually, one is a partition inside a partition) a linux swap, very tiny, with the label "/" that is the root partition, then a linux extended, this alows you to create a linux partition on the same disk as a fat32. and I think the one you put inside the extended is ext2 or something, its been a while since I've had to do that. have fun
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

Originally posted here by Cemetric
    Hi,

Many thnx,

Gr33tz,

Cemetric
    BSD. Preferably Open BSD, but Free BSD is also good...

and shipma, i agree with owensleftfoot, Mandrake is definitely the way to go for you.. but if you do end up having to partition it yourself, you make three partitions(actually, one is a partition inside a partition) a linux swap, very tiny, with the label "/" that is the root partition, then a linux extended, this alows you to create a linux partition on the same disk as a fat32. and I think the one you put inside the extended is ext2 or something, its been a while since I've had to do that. have fun
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)