Why Linux?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Why Linux?

Why Linux?

I've pondered installing Linux onto my second hard drive several times. I use it at school in the computer lab, but I haven't really found anything in it to make me really want to use it? I know there are alot of die hard linux people, and I'm sure there are some here. My question is, what are the benefits of using Linux?
    \'Cause London is drowning out and I live by the river.

Why Linux?

I've pondered installing Linux onto my second hard drive several times. I use it at school in the computer lab, but I haven't really found anything in it to make me really want to use it? I know there are alot of die hard linux people, and I'm sure there are some here. My question is, what are the benefits of using Linux?
    \'Cause London is drowning out and I live by the river.

Linux is stable, a lot more powerful than Windows, free.... and you can change and edit all in it.

What could I add? It's a techies heaven.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Linux is stable, a lot more powerful than Windows, free.... and you can change and edit all in it.

What could I add? It's a techies heaven.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

It allows a lot more freedom for you also,instead of hiding everything "you don't need to mess with."(This can be a bad thing though if you don't back up your files regularly and go messing with stuff,when you don't know exactly what it is/does.)
    *nix also has better built in security features than most M$ Os's.I also like the fact that it doesn't make your computer an advertisement board.Also *nix are very versatile.Everybody that contributes to making new distros have different needs,therefore different distros serve the needs of different people.Most of them are still lacking in the gaming aspect,but those problems are being worked out for the most part.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

It allows a lot more freedom for you also,instead of hiding everything "you don't need to mess with."(This can be a bad thing though if you don't back up your files regularly and go messing with stuff,when you don't know exactly what it is/does.)
    *nix also has better built in security features than most M$ Os's.I also like the fact that it doesn't make your computer an advertisement board.Also *nix are very versatile.Everybody that contributes to making new distros have different needs,therefore different distros serve the needs of different people.Most of them are still lacking in the gaming aspect,but those problems are being worked out for the most part.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

Indeed

Tell you what. Last night (10/29/02) I formatted my primary HD and installed Mandrake Linux 9.0. I will never go back to Windows as my primary OS. Granted I don't know a lot about it nor can I claim to be a guru. But it does come with (depending on the distro you get) about every piece of software you could need such as - media players, photo editors, cd ripping utils, cd burning utils, web browser, mail client, and much more. I know that any person with a good knowledge of IRC and file sharing programs could get all those for Windows for free and crack them but with Linux they are all already there. Plus the customization features are second to none, there is absolutely nothing you cannot customize. It's stable as hell and the support for it is a hell of a lot easier to find because the size of the *nix community, most of the people in it are open minded and don't have any problem helping a newbie out (look at some of these AO posts and forums). And it's free, no bullshit, no activation, no worrying about how much hardware you change out. Plus if you aren't afraid to make a few mistakes and learn something in the process it's a great idea. Anyway that's my 2 cents. Peace.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

Indeed

Tell you what. Last night (10/29/02) I formatted my primary HD and installed Mandrake Linux 9.0. I will never go back to Windows as my primary OS. Granted I don't know a lot about it nor can I claim to be a guru. But it does come with (depending on the distro you get) about every piece of software you could need such as - media players, photo editors, cd ripping utils, cd burning utils, web browser, mail client, and much more. I know that any person with a good knowledge of IRC and file sharing programs could get all those for Windows for free and crack them but with Linux they are all already there. Plus the customization features are second to none, there is absolutely nothing you cannot customize. It's stable as hell and the support for it is a hell of a lot easier to find because the size of the *nix community, most of the people in it are open minded and don't have any problem helping a newbie out (look at some of these AO posts and forums). And it's free, no bullshit, no activation, no worrying about how much hardware you change out. Plus if you aren't afraid to make a few mistakes and learn something in the process it's a great idea. Anyway that's my 2 cents. Peace.
    Risk everything, or gain nothing.

I love linux and BSD so much ,Linux and BSD is more stable and secure (of course not 100%) then Ms.
    Our office using Free BSD 4.6 as web server and it's been running amazing 453 days since last reboot!!(Can Microsoft do that??).
    Not an image or image does not exist!

I love linux and BSD so much ,Linux and BSD is more stable and secure (of course not 100%) then Ms.
    Our office using Free BSD 4.6 as web server and it's been running amazing 453 days since last reboot!!(Can Microsoft do that??).