Differences in Linux Levels

Thread: Differences in Linux Levels

There really is not forum for this thread so I chose as carefully as I could. At my work we are starting to evaluate Linux as a possible addition and, maybe, replacement for Windows. As the NSO I am planning on using it in a small independent network to test script kiddie scripts, attacks and defenses etc. I have used Unix (Solaris and some HP UX) so I am not worried about learning Linux.

However, with Red Hat 8.0 you have three levels that can be purchased: Standard, Professional, and Advanced Server. Since my company will probably purchase one (although Advanced Server is relatively expensive) I was wondering if anyone knew what the differences between these really are. It seems like even the standard can be used as a server, it is easy to download or set up a web service etc. for it. Is it worth spending the money (or time downloading) to get the Professional or the Adv. Server? Any input would be appreciated. Currently we are not looking at using Linux for our core applications since they are simply not supported on Linux yet so we are really looking at it as a possible workstation, file server, and intranet server as well as possible use for firewall or for a file server and web server in the DMZ carrying no proprietary or confidential data.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

There really is not forum for this thread so I chose as carefully as I could. At my work we are starting to evaluate Linux as a possible addition and, maybe, replacement for Windows. As the NSO I am planning on using it in a small independent network to test script kiddie scripts, attacks and defenses etc. I have used Unix (Solaris and some HP UX) so I am not worried about learning Linux.

However, with Red Hat 8.0 you have three levels that can be purchased: Standard, Professional, and Advanced Server. Since my company will probably purchase one (although Advanced Server is relatively expensive) I was wondering if anyone knew what the differences between these really are. It seems like even the standard can be used as a server, it is easy to download or set up a web service etc. for it. Is it worth spending the money (or time downloading) to get the Professional or the Adv. Server? Any input would be appreciated. Currently we are not looking at using Linux for our core applications since they are simply not supported on Linux yet so we are really looking at it as a possible workstation, file server, and intranet server as well as possible use for firewall or for a file server and web server in the DMZ carrying no proprietary or confidential data.
    SodaMoca5
    \"We are pressing through the sphincter of assholiness\"

I've got two laptop running RH linux 8 prof and standard..and this is what I know..(I'm very sure someone else know the different then me..).
    Prof and standard they've got same:
    -software(Redhat Blucurve,Kernel 2.4.18,Gcc 3.2)
    -Open source application(ximian evolution,mozilla,open office.org)

Prof have(standard don't):
    -office and multimedia application cd,operating system on DVD,system administrator tools CD

Prof support 60 days for web based installation support and Red hat network basic service, standard only 30 days.

I use standard one as sever but I prefer prof one ..they got more suppport for prof (for me it's worth it for money..to buy that RH prof)

I havent try advanced server yet..(apparently RH been working on support to their advanced waiting input from customer..)
    Not an image or image does not exist!

I've got two laptop running RH linux 8 prof and standard..and this is what I know..(I'm very sure someone else know the different then me..).
    Prof and standard they've got same:
    -software(Redhat Blucurve,Kernel 2.4.18,Gcc 3.2)
    -Open source application(ximian evolution,mozilla,open office.org)

Prof have(standard don't):
    -office and multimedia application cd,operating system on DVD,system administrator tools CD

Prof support 60 days for web based installation support and Red hat network basic service, standard only 30 days.

I use standard one as sever but I prefer prof one ..they got more suppport for prof (for me it's worth it for money..to buy that RH prof)

I havent try advanced server yet..(apparently RH been working on support to their advanced waiting input from customer..)