Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Errors in System Configuration

Errors in System Configuration

Hi, I have looked on the RedHat Bugsite and cant find a solution maybe i missed something but....
    Im running Linux 7.2 with Kernel 2.4.19. And when i start up GNOME and go to "PROGRAMS"---->SYSTEM"---->"SERVICE CONFIGURATION" I get an error of"

Application "usr/bin/python" (process 1322) has crashed due to fatal error.
    (Segmentation fault)
    ########################################## ################
    And then when i go to ""PROGRAMS"---->SYSTEM"---->"NETWORK CONFIGURATION" i get an error of:
    An unhandled exception has occired. This is most likley a bug. Pleasae copy the full text of this exception or save the crash dump to a fle a detailed bug report against redhat0config-network at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/

Traceback (innermost last):
    File "/usr/sbin/neat", line 1206, in ?
    window = mainDialog()
    File "/usr/sbin/neat", line 210, in __init__
    self.load()
    File "/usr/sbin/neat", line 226, in load
    self.loadProfiles()
    File "/usr/sbin/neat", line 239, in loadProfiles
    profilelist = getProfileList()
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/NCProfileList.py", line 393, in getProfileList
    PFList.load()
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/NCProfileList.py", line 44, in load
    hoconf = Conf.ConfEHosts()
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/Conf.py", line 426, in __init__
    Conf.__init__(self, '/etc/hosts')
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/Conf.py", line 180, in __init__
    self.read()
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/Conf.py", line 429, in read
    self.initvars()
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/Conf.py", line 442, in initvars
    raise BadFile, 'Malformed /etc/hosts file'
    Conf.BadFile: Malformed /etc/hosts file

Local variables in innermost frame:
    self: <netconfpkg.Conf.ConfEHosts instance at 845a788>
    var: ['119.13.1.110']

Errors in System Configuration

Hi, I have looked on the RedHat Bugsite and cant find a solution maybe i missed something but....
    Im running Linux 7.2 with Kernel 2.4.19. And when i start up GNOME and go to "PROGRAMS"---->SYSTEM"---->"SERVICE CONFIGURATION" I get an error of"

Application "usr/bin/python" (process 1322) has crashed due to fatal error.
    (Segmentation fault)
    ########################################## ################
    And then when i go to ""PROGRAMS"---->SYSTEM"---->"NETWORK CONFIGURATION" i get an error of:
    An unhandled exception has occired. This is most likley a bug. Pleasae copy the full text of this exception or save the crash dump to a fle a detailed bug report against redhat0config-network at http://bugzilla.redhat.com/bugzilla/

Traceback (innermost last):
    File "/usr/sbin/neat", line 1206, in ?
    window = mainDialog()
    File "/usr/sbin/neat", line 210, in __init__
    self.load()
    File "/usr/sbin/neat", line 226, in load
    self.loadProfiles()
    File "/usr/sbin/neat", line 239, in loadProfiles
    profilelist = getProfileList()
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/NCProfileList.py", line 393, in getProfileList
    PFList.load()
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/NCProfileList.py", line 44, in load
    hoconf = Conf.ConfEHosts()
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/Conf.py", line 426, in __init__
    Conf.__init__(self, '/etc/hosts')
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/Conf.py", line 180, in __init__
    self.read()
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/Conf.py", line 429, in read
    self.initvars()
    File "/usr/sbin/../share/redhat-config-network/netconfpkg/Conf.py", line 442, in initvars
    raise BadFile, 'Malformed /etc/hosts file'
    Conf.BadFile: Malformed /etc/hosts file

Local variables in innermost frame:
    self: <netconfpkg.Conf.ConfEHosts instance at 845a788>
    var: ['119.13.1.110']

str34m3r
    As stated by the last few lines of the error message, it's possible that your hosts file has been corrupted somehow. If you could post the contents of your /etc/hosts file, we could probably help you figure out what to do.

Another possiblity is a hostname conflict. Have you changed your hostname recently? The XServer communicates with itself over the loopback interface. If you change your hostname, but don't change /etc/hosts accordingly, the Xserver has a fit because it doesn't know what IP address to talk to. If you edit your /etc/hosts file to match the change in hostname, the problems go away.

str34m3r
    As stated by the last few lines of the error message, it's possible that your hosts file has been corrupted somehow. If you could post the contents of your /etc/hosts file, we could probably help you figure out what to do.

Another possiblity is a hostname conflict. Have you changed your hostname recently? The XServer communicates with itself over the loopback interface. If you change your hostname, but don't change /etc/hosts accordingly, the Xserver has a fit because it doesn't know what IP address to talk to. If you edit your /etc/hosts file to match the change in hostname, the problems go away.

Here is what my
    "/etc/hosts" file looks like

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs that require network functionality will #fail
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    ########################################################
    Im not sure if this will help but here is what my "/etc/resolv.conf" file looks too.

domain al.hsia.telus.net
    nameserver 119.13.1.110 # <--- i know this is my ISP DNS SERVER
    nameserver 119.13.1.120 #<---Secondary ISP DNS Sever
    nameserver 207.102.99.66 #<--- But i dont know what this is???
    nameserver 207.102.99.82 #<----or this???
    search al.hsia.telus.net

Here is what my
    "/etc/hosts" file looks like

# Do not remove the following line, or various programs that require network functionality will #fail
    127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    ########################################################
    Im not sure if this will help but here is what my "/etc/resolv.conf" file looks too.

domain al.hsia.telus.net
    nameserver 119.13.1.110 # <--- i know this is my ISP DNS SERVER
    nameserver 119.13.1.120 #<---Secondary ISP DNS Sever
    nameserver 207.102.99.66 #<--- But i dont know what this is???
    nameserver 207.102.99.82 #<----or this???
    search al.hsia.telus.net

str34m3r
    Ok, the nameserver entries don't need to be in your /etc/hosts file. You can remove them from there. Does your computer have a hostname or does it just say localhost at the prompts? If your computer is simply called localhost, then try removing the 119.13.1.110 entry and the 119.13.1.120 entry. Then see if it works any better.

str34m3r
    Ok, the nameserver entries don't need to be in your /etc/hosts file. You can remove them from there. Does your computer have a hostname or does it just say localhost at the prompts? If your computer is simply called localhost, then try removing the 119.13.1.110 entry and the 119.13.1.120 entry. Then see if it works any better.

Thanks... str34m3r

I removed the nameserver entries in my "/etc/hosts" that solved it thank you!

"If i wanted to change my host name do i put those to entries back in?"

Thanks... str34m3r

I removed the nameserver entries in my "/etc/hosts" that solved it thank you!

"If i wanted to change my host name do i put those to entries back in?"