Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: being attacked? by friend

Question, is he on the same network as you, has the same ISP, if he is then there is no need to DoS you, he could simply connect reconnect to the network on your IP address, if it’s a window’s network that will bump you out of the network. End of cable connection

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"

Question, is he on the same network as you, has the same ISP, if he is then there is no need to DoS you, he could simply connect reconnect to the network on your IP address, if it’s a window’s network that will bump you out of the network. End of cable connection

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"

no hes not on the same network as me...hes not even close to me. I should have said this earlier but i didnt know if it would matter how close he was. He's pretty much across the country. I've known him since i first got online (prob 6 years?...dont remember exactly). I use the term "friend" loosely, yet i have his address & phone # (but he doesnt have mine :-D ).

all that was said before this about getting logs and such to send to his ISP...im just starting to get more interested in computer security (mostly because of this happening to me) and pretty much suck at anything that involves previous security knowledge.

no hes not on the same network as me...hes not even close to me. I should have said this earlier but i didnt know if it would matter how close he was. He's pretty much across the country. I've known him since i first got online (prob 6 years?...dont remember exactly). I use the term "friend" loosely, yet i have his address & phone # (but he doesnt have mine :-D ).

all that was said before this about getting logs and such to send to his ISP...im just starting to get more interested in computer security (mostly because of this happening to me) and pretty much suck at anything that involves previous security knowledge.

to answer your question, sfrgollum, what your friend is doing to you is called a packet flood. this is a generic term for many different types of attacks that slow or stop a connection by overwhelming it with relentless packets of useless data called pings. Since you run a high-speed connection, it is likley he is using a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack. This is where he takes control of many remote computers and makes each of them actively ping a single address (yours). to the host machines, this is nothing, just a little traffic, but to the victim recieving them from multiple locations, it is devastating. Zone Alarm is a client side firewall, meaning it is on your computer, thus, it is useless against DDoS attacks, because it only interrupts the data once you have recieved it, and by then, the bandwidth has already been used. Here is more info on DDoS here is a slideshow on DDoS protection
    My best advice is to A:Stop pissing this guy off, Bon't associate with him anymore C:Put the fear of hell into him with a few pranks of your own.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

to answer your question, sfrgollum, what your friend is doing to you is called a packet flood. this is a generic term for many different types of attacks that slow or stop a connection by overwhelming it with relentless packets of useless data called pings. Since you run a high-speed connection, it is likley he is using a DDoS (Distributed Denial of Service) attack. This is where he takes control of many remote computers and makes each of them actively ping a single address (yours). to the host machines, this is nothing, just a little traffic, but to the victim recieving them from multiple locations, it is devastating. Zone Alarm is a client side firewall, meaning it is on your computer, thus, it is useless against DDoS attacks, because it only interrupts the data once you have recieved it, and by then, the bandwidth has already been used. Here is more info on DDoS here is a slideshow on DDoS protection
    My best advice is to A:Stop pissing this guy off, Bon't associate with him anymore C:Put the fear of hell into him with a few pranks of your own.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Originally posted here by xid
    Very informative, Tiger Shark! Thanks for the info, it sounds like you could write a great tutorial on TCP/IP!

Yeah, I know there are many already out... but it's so well explained...

Thanks - but like you say there are already a ton out there and I have to put it in simple terms so I understand half of it........
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Originally posted here by xid
    Very informative, Tiger Shark! Thanks for the info, it sounds like you could write a great tutorial on TCP/IP!

Yeah, I know there are many already out... but it's so well explained...

Thanks - but like you say there are already a ton out there and I have to put it in simple terms so I understand half of it........
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides