Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: being attacked? by friend

well since you are on a network and as i understand only your computer has a firewall, but your isnt the one with the actual connection to the cable net?

if the cable is connected thru your old's computer theirs should eb the one with the firewall on it to protect the network from any intrusion / DOS attacks
    Just wait till i get my slappin gloves on.....

well since you are on a network and as i understand only your computer has a firewall, but your isnt the one with the actual connection to the cable net?

if the cable is connected thru your old's computer theirs should eb the one with the firewall on it to protect the network from any intrusion / DOS attacks
    Just wait till i get my slappin gloves on.....

well usually it starts out as a slow period but ends up as a complete stop...

ya thats what i was wondering...my parents computer is downstairs and is connected to the actual modem. Will zone alarm actually help against this?

well usually it starts out as a slow period but ends up as a complete stop...

ya thats what i was wondering...my parents computer is downstairs and is connected to the actual modem. Will zone alarm actually help against this?

I'm still a newbie at security stuff,so correct me if i'm wrong.
    if the modem is not directly connected to your PC,Zone Alarm doesn't help much.
    The attack is targetted at the actual connection.

I'm still a newbie at security stuff,so correct me if i'm wrong.
    if the modem is not directly connected to your PC,Zone Alarm doesn't help much.
    The attack is targetted at the actual connection.

sfrgollum, the first tip I want to give you is to get a better firewall. I don't like ZoneAlarm all too much, and it doesn't make your computer more secure than it was. Try BlackICE, Tiny Personal Firewall, Sygate, or maybe even Norton. If you feel to comfortable with ZoneAlarm, just try to get the most updated edition you can. Second, my guess is he is performing a TCP SYN flood which is basically syncronizing the packets so he could send more, in a quicker time, and to bypass things. If you have a cable connection, you are connected to the internet 24/7, which can serve as a problem. Also, you have a steady IP address which never changes. More than likely, your friend is a script kiddie who is using a program to knock you offline. If you two connect the a cs server or whatever, he might be smart enough to view your IP from netstat. If your IP doesn't change, then he can flood you as many times he wants. Maybe, and this is if you can because I never played cs, you could use a proxy while connecting to the server, or anything to mask your ip. Just a little bit of advice, Hope I helped!
    Space For Rent.. =]

sfrgollum, the first tip I want to give you is to get a better firewall. I don't like ZoneAlarm all too much, and it doesn't make your computer more secure than it was. Try BlackICE, Tiny Personal Firewall, Sygate, or maybe even Norton. If you feel to comfortable with ZoneAlarm, just try to get the most updated edition you can. Second, my guess is he is performing a TCP SYN flood which is basically syncronizing the packets so he could send more, in a quicker time, and to bypass things. If you have a cable connection, you are connected to the internet 24/7, which can serve as a problem. Also, you have a steady IP address which never changes. More than likely, your friend is a script kiddie who is using a program to knock you offline. If you two connect the a cs server or whatever, he might be smart enough to view your IP from netstat. If your IP doesn't change, then he can flood you as many times he wants. Maybe, and this is if you can because I never played cs, you could use a proxy while connecting to the server, or anything to mask your ip. Just a little bit of advice, Hope I helped!
    Space For Rent.. =]

What type fo OS are you running? If he is running a DoS attack against you, you should be able to idenify his IP address(es) that are makeing the connections to your computer. If you're running linux you can drop the IP's in the host.deny file. After you do that you can contact your upstream provider so that they can block him at their routers.

What type fo OS are you running? If he is running a DoS attack against you, you should be able to idenify his IP address(es) that are makeing the connections to your computer. If you're running linux you can drop the IP's in the host.deny file. After you do that you can contact your upstream provider so that they can block him at their routers.