Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ports found

Question Ports found

Ok i found 2 open ports on my computer heres the results by Blues port scanner and my question ia can these ports being opened cause a security risk, and can you tell me a little more about the ports Thanks:
    TCP: My ip [139-netbios-ssn]
    TCP: My ip [5000-commplex-main]

Question Ports found

Ok i found 2 open ports on my computer heres the results by Blues port scanner and my question ia can these ports being opened cause a security risk, and can you tell me a little more about the ports Thanks:
    TCP: My ip [139-netbios-ssn]
    TCP: My ip [5000-commplex-main]

well for starters, port 139 is netbios, the windows file and print sharing tool, since this was an online scan that you did, having this port open to the internet is a security risk, it sounds like you may be running some form on windows NT on your box, this is just a guess as from what i found, this commplex-main is something to do with NT

as far as this commplex main thing goes, i dont think it is a backdoor / trojan / whatever but a legitimate service that is a part of windows NT, not sure if it a security risk to you or not

try the google search below and you may find some useful ideas...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

well for starters, port 139 is netbios, the windows file and print sharing tool, since this was an online scan that you did, having this port open to the internet is a security risk, it sounds like you may be running some form on windows NT on your box, this is just a guess as from what i found, this commplex-main is something to do with NT

as far as this commplex main thing goes, i dont think it is a backdoor / trojan / whatever but a legitimate service that is a part of windows NT, not sure if it a security risk to you or not

try the google search below and you may find some useful ideas...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&i...=Google+Search

Port 139 like mrleachy said is netbios. As long as your don’t have file and print sharing enabled you should be ok, although it is better to disable it

Port 5000, well, if your running win ME or XP, universal plug and play can hold that port open. If your not using it, turn it off or make sure you have the lastest security up-dates for it. Unpatched this is a major whole in security. If your not using these OSs it could be the Sockets De Troie trojan. this trojan is easily detected by AV programs. if you have updated AV, don't be too concerned....but check it out anyway

you should get a program like fport from foundstone to tell you what program is listening on these ports.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Port 139 like mrleachy said is netbios. As long as your don’t have file and print sharing enabled you should be ok, although it is better to disable it

Port 5000, well, if your running win ME or XP, universal plug and play can hold that port open. If your not using it, turn it off or make sure you have the lastest security up-dates for it. Unpatched this is a major whole in security. If your not using these OSs it could be the Sockets De Troie trojan. this trojan is easily detected by AV programs. if you have updated AV, don't be too concerned....but check it out anyway

you should get a program like fport from foundstone to tell you what program is listening on these ports.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Yea im using windows ME, the patches im not so sure about but i use zone alarm firewall where can i find some up to date patches at?

like when i went to micorosft.com to look for them they just told you a few tips on not what to do most of the **** was BS like dont run programs you dont know what they are lol

Yea im using windows ME, the patches im not so sure about but i use zone alarm firewall where can i find some up to date patches at?

like when i went to micorosft.com to look for them they just told you a few tips on not what to do most of the **** was BS like dont run programs you dont know what they are lol

Lightbulb Windows Updates

Check this link out:

http://www.softwaresecuritysolutions...sftupdates.htm

On that site there's a link to this place aswell:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...ty/default.asp

- These should help you out (hopefully). But the best upgrade, imo, would be to install a better OS over that crappy ME of yours. 2k, XP (meh...), or even 98SE - not to mention the various Linux and BSD distributions out there...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

Lightbulb Windows Updates

Check this link out:

http://www.softwaresecuritysolutions...sftupdates.htm

On that site there's a link to this place aswell:

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/tre...ty/default.asp

- These should help you out (hopefully). But the best upgrade, imo, would be to install a better OS over that crappy ME of yours. 2k, XP (meh...), or even 98SE - not to mention the various Linux and BSD distributions out there...
    ...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]