Linux Broadbandrouter

Thread: Linux Broadbandrouter

Question Linux Broadbandrouter

Hi,

I have just installed a floppydisk distro linux router with firewall and dhcp etc..
    Now It works fine and I have tweaked the rules from the firewall a bit...

But my Question is :

Is there anyone who has some expirience with these small linux distros ?
    Is it as save as they tell you on the sites or are there some major holes in there (I doubt it's less secure then somethings you buy or if you use some M$ thingie but anyway).

Thnx in advance for replying to my thread!
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Question Linux Broadbandrouter

Hi,

I have just installed a floppydisk distro linux router with firewall and dhcp etc..
    Now It works fine and I have tweaked the rules from the firewall a bit...

But my Question is :

Is there anyone who has some expirience with these small linux distros ?
    Is it as save as they tell you on the sites or are there some major holes in there (I doubt it's less secure then somethings you buy or if you use some M$ thingie but anyway).

Thnx in advance for replying to my thread!
    Back when I was a boy, we carved our own IC's out of wood.

Banned
    I have a good bit of experience with the Linux on a Floppies, or the "Portable Linux"s. You have to remember, every OS has flaws. Anything that is on the site that says how secure it is, more than likely is true, but you must realize that their statements are as far as they know. You should still take precautions when using the OSs. Nothing is 100% secure.

Banned
    I have a good bit of experience with the Linux on a Floppies, or the "Portable Linux"s. You have to remember, every OS has flaws. Anything that is on the site that says how secure it is, more than likely is true, but you must realize that their statements are as far as they know. You should still take precautions when using the OSs. Nothing is 100% secure.

I use Freesco on mine. It hasn't been updated for a while but it's ok. It runs off a floppy disc which means the machine has no HD which makes it much quieter.

As far as security is concerned, well it listens on no ports visible from the outside (that's its default config).

The internal security may well be dodgy but I don't care because it's just me really.

I use Freesco on mine. It hasn't been updated for a while but it's ok. It runs off a floppy disc which means the machine has no HD which makes it much quieter.

As far as security is concerned, well it listens on no ports visible from the outside (that's its default config).

The internal security may well be dodgy but I don't care because it's just me really.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Cemetric in generel the default configs are ok. If you are common with network and pc stuff you can add your own rules. I have experience with several off those linux based firewall systems and they are really secure. But there's nothing like 100% secure. Not even 99%
    I don't think the "real" hardware solutions are more secure than those based on linux or bsd on a floppy or cd. Perhaps they have the advantage that their 'firmware' isn't opensource and that way flaws are not easily found.

Senior since the 3 dot era
    Cemetric in generel the default configs are ok. If you are common with network and pc stuff you can add your own rules. I have experience with several off those linux based firewall systems and they are really secure. But there's nothing like 100% secure. Not even 99%
    I don't think the "real" hardware solutions are more secure than those based on linux or bsd on a floppy or cd. Perhaps they have the advantage that their 'firmware' isn't opensource and that way flaws are not easily found.