dcsimg
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: A Plea to the new members

Banned
    Lol, I was gonna make a post on this a long time ago, but figured I would get banned for it. I remember ppl brought it up and got negged with messages like "Ao is for everybody" and that kinda thing. Maybe we need to have new members get a certain amount of points before they can start threads.

Banned
    Lol, I was gonna make a post on this a long time ago, but figured I would get banned for it. I remember ppl brought it up and got negged with messages like "Ao is for everybody" and that kinda thing. Maybe we need to have new members get a certain amount of points before they can start threads.

general chit chat has been around for a long time... and the reason for the general chit chat is for all posts... technical or non. anything that can't fit in somewhere else. where would you suggest people post these threads. i agree that some threads have no need to exist, but that is just my opinion. the ones i don't like i don't read. just that simple. i understand your frustration... but over time you realize that there are lots of people who post lots of useless things in general chit chat and that's why it's there
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

general chit chat has been around for a long time... and the reason for the general chit chat is for all posts... technical or non. anything that can't fit in somewhere else. where would you suggest people post these threads. i agree that some threads have no need to exist, but that is just my opinion. the ones i don't like i don't read. just that simple. i understand your frustration... but over time you realize that there are lots of people who post lots of useless things in general chit chat and that's why it's there
    Learn like you are going to live forever, live like you are going to die tomorrow.

Propoganda

I have the feeling that things began to seriously slip when the "Tech humor" forum has been created. A lot of newbies understood the creation/existence of it as a permission to post useless and crappy threads. And NOT ONLY in the incriminated forum.
    In my opinion, the problem is not in the quantity of non tech subject in the general chit chat but in the too low quality of them.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I have the feeling that things began to seriously slip when the "Tech humor" forum has been created. A lot of newbies understood the creation/existence of it as a permission to post useless and crappy threads. And NOT ONLY in the incriminated forum.
    In my opinion, the problem is not in the quantity of non tech subject in the general chit chat but in the too low quality of them.

Well all this may be true about the amount of non security related stuff, however I started thread a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=236075

Which I believe is a good technical security question, which could have become a good security discussion. But only one person answered the question from 198 views, and the question is still open.

Maybe if more people posted more open ended questions, For example “The advantages and disadvantages of different ways of port scanning” the level of security conversation in AO would increase, but only if people respond to them in a way that will encourage the discussion.

So does anyone agree or disagree with this?

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"

Well all this may be true about the amount of non security related stuff, however I started thread a couple of weeks ago.

http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=236075

Which I believe is a good technical security question, which could have become a good security discussion. But only one person answered the question from 198 views, and the question is still open.

Maybe if more people posted more open ended questions, For example “The advantages and disadvantages of different ways of port scanning” the level of security conversation in AO would increase, but only if people respond to them in a way that will encourage the discussion.

So does anyone agree or disagree with this?

SittingDuck
    I\'m a SittingDuck, but the question is \"Is your web app a Sitting Duck?\"

Yes ,I agree with you SittingDuck, there are some tech and security questions which are not answered. But I could also say it's a minority of questions and that it's maybe because there a lot of useless/crappy posts which send quickly interesting tech threads in graves.

I noticed the life time of non security related threads is generally longer than the one of security threads.

Yes ,I agree with you SittingDuck, there are some tech and security questions which are not answered. But I could also say it's a minority of questions and that it's maybe because there a lot of useless/crappy posts which send quickly interesting tech threads in graves.

I noticed the life time of non security related threads is generally longer than the one of security threads.