Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HTML and CSS advice, please

this works with IE, i don't have a clue about anything else. even if you put in a javascript that will open a different version of the page, still not watertight.
    you can make Layers that overlap. or put an image in a layer that site ontop of where two other layers join.

<div id="Layer_ID_Here" style="position:absolute; width:640px; height:480px; z-index:1; left: 10px; top: 10px">

stuff in the layer here - [img]thing.pic[/img]
    id = self explanitory
    style.z-index = layer order, layer 3 will sit on top of layer 1 & 2
    style.left and .top = where the layer sits on the page in relation to the origin (0,0)

</div>

<!-----------------------!>
    you could always use an iFrame, or InlineFrame, if you want to make a certain part scrollable, you could put an iFrame in a table cell or in a layer. you can't have a picture in a layer thats half on half off the iFrame, even if the z-index of the layer with the picture is higher than the layer with the iFrame. the below code should make an iFrame of width 830 pixels and height 430 pixels, with no border. this iFrame will display the contents of Contents.html. and you can have iFrames and Layers galore in Contents.html.

<iframe width="830" height="430" frameborder="0" src="Contents.html">
    </iframe>

you will probably have serious compatibility issuse with this method.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

this works with IE, i don't have a clue about anything else. even if you put in a javascript that will open a different version of the page, still not watertight.
    you can make Layers that overlap. or put an image in a layer that site ontop of where two other layers join.

<div id="Layer_ID_Here" style="position:absolute; width:640px; height:480px; z-index:1; left: 10px; top: 10px">

stuff in the layer here -
    id = self explanitory
    style.z-index = layer order, layer 3 will sit on top of layer 1 & 2
    style.left and .top = where the layer sits on the page in relation to the origin (0,0)

</div>

<!-----------------------!>
    you could always use an iFrame, or InlineFrame, if you want to make a certain part scrollable, you could put an iFrame in a table cell or in a layer. you can't have a picture in a layer thats half on half off the iFrame, even if the z-index of the layer with the picture is higher than the layer with the iFrame. the below code should make an iFrame of width 830 pixels and height 430 pixels, with no border. this iFrame will display the contents of Contents.html. and you can have iFrames and Layers galore in Contents.html.

<iframe width="830" height="430" frameborder="0" src="Contents.html">
    </iframe>

you will probably have serious compatibility issuse with this method.
    Hmm...theres something a little peculiar here. Oh i see what it is! the sentence is talking about itself! do you see that? what do you mean? sentences can\'t talk! No, but they REFER to things, and this one refers directly-unambigeously-unmistakably-to the very sentence which it is!

can i make a certain part of a table scrollable, like in frames?
    First run through the official CSS 2 Specification here: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ . Then go to chapter 9 - Visual formatting model and read about relative vs absolute vs fixed positioning scheme using DIV and SPAN. There you can find a way to a frame-like page without frames. Basically, use fixed DIVs to put a box in a fixed area of the browser's window, and use absolute DIVs to put a scrollable box.

You need to use DOM compliant browsers to view it properly. See Document Object Model 2 Specification here: http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core/ . IE 5.5+ and NS6.0+ should be fine.

EDIT: Browser vendors and web designers should follow recommendations from W3 Consortium (www.w3.org) to have cross-browser compatible webpages for the users. See HTML 4.01 Specification here: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401 . While this specification still supports frames, I think it won't in the future.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

can i make a certain part of a table scrollable, like in frames?
    First run through the official CSS 2 Specification here: http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-CSS2/ . Then go to chapter 9 - Visual formatting model and read about relative vs absolute vs fixed positioning scheme using DIV and SPAN. There you can find a way to a frame-like page without frames. Basically, use fixed DIVs to put a box in a fixed area of the browser's window, and use absolute DIVs to put a scrollable box.

You need to use DOM compliant browsers to view it properly. See Document Object Model 2 Specification here: http://www.w3.org/TR/DOM-Level-2-Core/ . IE 5.5+ and NS6.0+ should be fine.

EDIT: Browser vendors and web designers should follow recommendations from W3 Consortium (www.w3.org) to have cross-browser compatible webpages for the users. See HTML 4.01 Specification here: http://www.w3.org/TR/html401 . While this specification still supports frames, I think it won't in the future.

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds