Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I got my password stolen

I got my password stolen

Ok, I am a member of a HTML enabled discussion forum. Someone managed to steal my password and wrote in my behalf bad phrases that slightly damaged my reputation. Luckily, I was able to restore my password and change it. Would someone help me to secure myself against future abuse? Thanks in advance.

I got my password stolen

Ok, I am a member of a HTML enabled discussion forum. Someone managed to steal my password and wrote in my behalf bad phrases that slightly damaged my reputation. Luckily, I was able to restore my password and change it. Would someone help me to secure myself against future abuse? Thanks in advance.

Only advice I can say is this: Change your password often, make it a strong one, use all sorts of characters (numbers, letters, etc) and to make it as long as possible. He porbably got in because you might of had an easy password. By changing it often and by making it hard (such as 5jfu4kfj) you probably won't have it happen again. Hope I helped!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Only advice I can say is this: Change your password often, make it a strong one, use all sorts of characters (numbers, letters, etc) and to make it as long as possible. He porbably got in because you might of had an easy password. By changing it often and by making it hard (such as 5jfu4kfj) you probably won't have it happen again. Hope I helped!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Make sure that you tell who ever is in charge of the discussion forum about incident just in case it’s a problem with the forum its self and not password guessing. Might not hurt to scan for Trojans just in case someone installed a key logger or some other spyware. You can go here http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp.../Trojans/?il=1
    to find a list of anti-Trojan programs, MooSoft seems to be a favorite around here.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Make sure that you tell who ever is in charge of the discussion forum about incident just in case it’s a problem with the forum its self and not password guessing. Might not hurt to scan for Trojans just in case someone installed a key logger or some other spyware. You can go here http://directory.google.com/Top/Comp.../Trojans/?il=1
    to find a list of anti-Trojan programs, MooSoft seems to be a favorite around here.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Start getting into the habit of setting your password by replacing numbers and special characters in place of letters.

Eg.

O replace with 0 (thats a zero!)
    A replace with @
    L replace with ! or 1 or |
    B replace with 8
    E replace with 3
    S replace with 5
    and on and on. Make them up yourself!!

If you get into this habit, it can make a password a lot harder to crack.

Eg.
    Password (easily cracked or brute forced).
    P@55w0rd (hard to crack and brute force).
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

Start getting into the habit of setting your password by replacing numbers and special characters in place of letters.

Eg.

O replace with 0 (thats a zero!)
    A replace with @
    L replace with ! or 1 or |
    B replace with 8
    E replace with 3
    S replace with 5
    and on and on. Make them up yourself!!

If you get into this habit, it can make a password a lot harder to crack.

Eg.
    Password (easily cracked or brute forced).
    P@55w0rd (hard to crack and brute force).
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

jookokoko

jookokoko