Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: I got my password stolen

Banned
    Can you use language packs for your passwords? I've never tried it before but I wonder if you could try useing random keys from lets say... Japan. I haven't done that before but I bet it would really confuse or frustrate someone if they were useing a dictionary or bruteForce cracker.

Banned
    Can you use language packs for your passwords? I've never tried it before but I wonder if you could try useing random keys from lets say... Japan. I haven't done that before but I bet it would really confuse or frustrate someone if they were useing a dictionary or bruteForce cracker.

And then there's always the Mitnick trick of simply "social engineering" it out of someone. That seems to be the easiest way to get a password.

From what I know they either
    1. Got your password from an admin
    2. Are a friend of yours that had your password for awhile but just got pissed at you for one thing or another
    3. Asked you for it
    4. Cracked the login page
    5. Used Brute Force and spent all day guessing

My best bet would be to go with one of the first three. An HTML group most likely isn't going to have profficent experts in C++ or any other programming language that's not web based. I would suggest simply changing your password, letting the admin know, and moving on. Don't know that you can do much more. peace
    Your actions speak so loud that I cannot hear the words you are saying - Emerson

And then there's always the Mitnick trick of simply "social engineering" it out of someone. That seems to be the easiest way to get a password.

From what I know they either
    1. Got your password from an admin
    2. Are a friend of yours that had your password for awhile but just got pissed at you for one thing or another
    3. Asked you for it
    4. Cracked the login page
    5. Used Brute Force and spent all day guessing

My best bet would be to go with one of the first three. An HTML group most likely isn't going to have profficent experts in C++ or any other programming language that's not web based. I would suggest simply changing your password, letting the admin know, and moving on. Don't know that you can do much more. peace
    Your actions speak so loud that I cannot hear the words you are saying - Emerson

That's probably a bug with the forum itself, the guy was offensive from the beginning. He always posts lame posts and threats. I replied to his post asking him to stop posting such a stupid things. Then it took him only one hour to steal my nick and revise my signature with his own. So, as cha_chi mentioned, I bet it's the fourth, he cracked the login page. Indeed the whole forum is vulnerable, as there are so many members who had the same situation.

BTW, my password isn't that easy to guess, but I rarely change it.

Thank you all for you replies, I would sincerely appreciate your advice.

That's probably a bug with the forum itself, the guy was offensive from the beginning. He always posts lame posts and threats. I replied to his post asking him to stop posting such a stupid things. Then it took him only one hour to steal my nick and revise my signature with his own. So, as cha_chi mentioned, I bet it's the fourth, he cracked the login page. Indeed the whole forum is vulnerable, as there are so many members who had the same situation.

BTW, my password isn't that easy to guess, but I rarely change it.

Thank you all for you replies, I would sincerely appreciate your advice.

along with the social engineering aspect, when I sign up for services, when they ask me for a secret question/answer, I supply something like, what is your cats name, then I type something totaly out of this world, not my cats name, but something else. This way if somone uses social engineering to tyr to get my cats name which can be achieved without any social engineering at all and just knowing the person, but in either case my cats name is not the answer.

Strong passwords as previously mentioned should be used. I like to use at least 6 characters for mine, they never contain any words, and always contain at least one number. Dont give your passwords to anyone includeing fammily and friends.

Avopid writeing passwords on peices of paper, you never know where your enemy will strike next.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

along with the social engineering aspect, when I sign up for services, when they ask me for a secret question/answer, I supply something like, what is your cats name, then I type something totaly out of this world, not my cats name, but something else. This way if somone uses social engineering to tyr to get my cats name which can be achieved without any social engineering at all and just knowing the person, but in either case my cats name is not the answer.

Strong passwords as previously mentioned should be used. I like to use at least 6 characters for mine, they never contain any words, and always contain at least one number. Dont give your passwords to anyone includeing fammily and friends.

Avopid writeing passwords on peices of paper, you never know where your enemy will strike next.
    In snatches, they learn something of the wisdom
    which is of good, and more of the mere knowledge which is of evil. But must I know what must not come, for I shale become those of knowledgedome. Peace~

there is a password validator thing somebody posted that ive seen, it tells you how long it would take to break your password. i suggest you choose a new password and make sure that its a good one with all the @!&123 stuff like the soggy said above

try doing a search for password checker on google you will most likey find it

there is a password validator thing somebody posted that ive seen, it tells you how long it would take to break your password. i suggest you choose a new password and make sure that its a good one with all the @!&123 stuff like the soggy said above

try doing a search for password checker on google you will most likey find it