Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Can somebody tell me why?

Can somebody tell me why?

Can somebody Plz tell me why windows xp professional do this? Everytime i move a file from where it used to be it tells me that the main module cannot be located. It is really aggrevating when i want to move my files to the desktop and it won't allow me to run it again after i move it. Can somebody plz tell me why it happens and how i can stop it, so i can move my files to the desktop?

-ebo

Can somebody tell me why?

Can somebody Plz tell me why windows xp professional do this? Everytime i move a file from where it used to be it tells me that the main module cannot be located. It is really aggrevating when i want to move my files to the desktop and it won't allow me to run it again after i move it. Can somebody plz tell me why it happens and how i can stop it, so i can move my files to the desktop?

-ebo

I haven't tried XP yet,but if you are copy and pasting them,you might want to try create shortcut.When you copy and paste,sometimes stuff gets left behind.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

I haven't tried XP yet,but if you are copy and pasting them,you might want to try create shortcut.When you copy and paste,sometimes stuff gets left behind.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

thanks gghornet i have tried that and i still get the same message xp is really annoying i would say but thanks anyway.

thanks gghornet i have tried that and i still get the same message xp is really annoying i would say but thanks anyway.

as far as I know, when you copy a file from one folder to another, it takes on the permissions of the destination folder, so it sounds to me like its a permissions problem, check the settings on the desktop, cause it sounds like execute is turned off.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

as far as I know, when you copy a file from one folder to another, it takes on the permissions of the destination folder, so it sounds to me like its a permissions problem, check the settings on the desktop, cause it sounds like execute is turned off.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

So, if I understand this correctly, you could move, or copy and paste c:\program files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe to the desktop, it'll run once, and then following that you get an error?
    Are you the admin of the machine? Have you tried this with a poweruser account?
    does this happen with all your files regardless of what directory you are moving them from? Does it matter where you are moving them to? Does the error change when you create a shortcut as opposed to copying and pasting the file?
    There are so many questions.
    If you can provide all details, an answer may arise.

Regards, and good luck.

edit : Syini666 is likely to be pretty close on this one.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

So, if I understand this correctly, you could move, or copy and paste c:\program files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe to the desktop, it'll run once, and then following that you get an error?
    Are you the admin of the machine? Have you tried this with a poweruser account?
    does this happen with all your files regardless of what directory you are moving them from? Does it matter where you are moving them to? Does the error change when you create a shortcut as opposed to copying and pasting the file?
    There are so many questions.
    If you can provide all details, an answer may arise.

Regards, and good luck.

edit : Syini666 is likely to be pretty close on this one.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"