Thread: Xp password files

Xp password files

Does anyone know where the windows xp .pwl files are stored, or does xp
    have another name for password files, like windows 2000 has .sam and if so what
    is it and where is it.
    Welcome Yousefj32uk

The Iceman Cometh
    Windows XP doesn't use .pwl files. Why do you need to know where the XP passwords are stored? If you give a legit reason, some people may be willing to help you out. If you don't have a legit reason, I suggest you delete this thread and go elsewhere where you can go spend time with some lame script kiddies... maybe they'll be willing to help you.

AJ

About

Well, each Windows NT (Windows XP and 2k being NT) domain has somethig called a Security Accounts Manager or SAM database. This database resides on the domain controllers, and stores various information such as user accounts, computer accounts, and group accounts. Each of these certain accounts are called objects, and the SAM shouldn't contain more than 40,000 (or something like that) objects (according to Microsoft). But if you want more than 40,000 objets you should use what is called a Multiple Master Domain Model, instead of a Single Domain Model.

Now if you want to crack a WindowsXP password there are a couple different ways. The simplest, in my opinion, is simply running a copy of l0phtcrack to gain all users (including Administrator). What l0phtcrack does is finds a registry file holding the the passwords' hashes. And from there beings to sort-out, and bruteforce to get the passwords. A copy of l0phtcrack can be found here.

...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

About

Well, each Windows NT (Windows XP and 2k being NT) domain has somethig called a Security Accounts Manager or SAM database. This database resides on the domain controllers, and stores various information such as user accounts, computer accounts, and group accounts. Each of these certain accounts are called objects, and the SAM shouldn't contain more than 40,000 (or something like that) objects (according to Microsoft). But if you want more than 40,000 objets you should use what is called a Multiple Master Domain Model, instead of a Single Domain Model.

Now if you want to crack a WindowsXP password there are a couple different ways. The simplest, in my opinion, is simply running a copy of l0phtcrack to gain all users (including Administrator). What l0phtcrack does is finds a registry file holding the the passwords' hashes. And from there beings to sort-out, and bruteforce to get the passwords. A copy of l0phtcrack can be found here.

...This Space For Rent.

-[WebCarnage]

The Sam database can be found in several locations within the harddrive. The main folder being windows/system32/config. A backup copy of it is stored in the windows/repair folder
    More copies of it can be found in the i386 folder and the last copy can be found in the documents and settings/owner.computername/Recent folder
    A html version can be found in My Computer as well..or so my search says
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times

The Sam database can be found in several locations within the harddrive. The main folder being windows/system32/config. A backup copy of it is stored in the windows/repair folder
    More copies of it can be found in the i386 folder and the last copy can be found in the documents and settings/owner.computername/Recent folder
    A html version can be found in My Computer as well..or so my search says
    <chsh> I've read more interesting technical discussion on the wall of a public bathroom than I have at AO at times