Thread: home portal 1000s

home portal 1000s

I just signed up for Bell South DSL with a firewall. It is built in to my 2wire home portal 1000s dsl modem provided by Bell South. Does anyone know anything about this firewall? Should I add a software firewall to back it up?

home portal 1000s

I just signed up for Bell South DSL with a firewall. It is built in to my 2wire home portal 1000s dsl modem provided by Bell South. Does anyone know anything about this firewall? Should I add a software firewall to back it up?

Lightbulb

ok, the only advice i could give you since iv never used this wall, is find a few of your computer telligent friends (....i think i just made up a word) and have them test it out, you can find some good tools to do this here on anti online and just get a few different things to play with, get scanners, pingers, DOS attacks, and let some trust worthy people test the wall out for you, be sure to scan them with anti virus software first, alot of DOS attack tools have lil things in them they shouldnt, and if you do this and the wall picks up and blocks all the attacks then your doin good, if not then look online for firewalls, downloads.com has a few you can get free, just pick a few and install them and try again till you find somethin that works, but the walls might not pick EVERYTHING up so if a few scans slip passed dont flip its ok, and have fun, testing firewalls can be extremly fun trying to figure out which combo will work to get passed it. hope this helps and Happy Halloween!
    http://www.downloads.com
    umpkin:

Lightbulb

ok, the only advice i could give you since iv never used this wall, is find a few of your computer telligent friends (....i think i just made up a word) and have them test it out, you can find some good tools to do this here on anti online and just get a few different things to play with, get scanners, pingers, DOS attacks, and let some trust worthy people test the wall out for you, be sure to scan them with anti virus software first, alot of DOS attack tools have lil things in them they shouldnt, and if you do this and the wall picks up and blocks all the attacks then your doin good, if not then look online for firewalls, downloads.com has a few you can get free, just pick a few and install them and try again till you find somethin that works, but the walls might not pick EVERYTHING up so if a few scans slip passed dont flip its ok, and have fun, testing firewalls can be extremly fun trying to figure out which combo will work to get passed it. hope this helps and Happy Halloween!
    http://www.downloads.com
    umpkin:

This firewall will block anything that is not "portmapped" to a machine on your network, it does not block outgoing traffic (it has no way to vailidify the traffic going out (so technically a firewall that blocks spyware sending traffic out about your surfing would still be a good idea).

Also the router uses NAT (supplies you a 172.16.1.x address), so even if the firewall gets bypassed the traffic still needs to be forwarded to one of the machines.

As far as security, the firewall/NAT combo in this product as far as I can tell are more secure than anything I have seen for a residental DSL market. If you explore my webpage a little you might understand how I came to obtain the information (mainly the part with my resume)......

Cheeseball

BTW. 800-263-2421 is the support number you would need to call to inquire about more information on the 2wire you have gotten.
    http://www25.brinkster.com/cheeseball

-- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment--

This firewall will block anything that is not "portmapped" to a machine on your network, it does not block outgoing traffic (it has no way to vailidify the traffic going out (so technically a firewall that blocks spyware sending traffic out about your surfing would still be a good idea).

Also the router uses NAT (supplies you a 172.16.1.x address), so even if the firewall gets bypassed the traffic still needs to be forwarded to one of the machines.

As far as security, the firewall/NAT combo in this product as far as I can tell are more secure than anything I have seen for a residental DSL market. If you explore my webpage a little you might understand how I came to obtain the information (mainly the part with my resume)......

Cheeseball

BTW. 800-263-2421 is the support number you would need to call to inquire about more information on the 2wire you have gotten.
    http://www25.brinkster.com/cheeseball

-- Do not dwell in the past, do not dream of the future, concentrate the mind on the present moment--