Thread: Video Card Question

Question Video Card Question

Okay, hardware is my weakest area so i could definetly use a lil help w/ this. I don't think it's that the video card is incompatible with my motherboard because when I boot up into windows (got a dual linux/windows boot) and i'll get video as far as, say the windows boot screen, however when windows finishes loading all I get is a blank screen. The monitor of course stays on, but its just blackness, so I just plug it back into my onboard video and it works fine. Btw, lol its a Geforce 2 (old I know but i'm on a TIGHT budget). Now, it's a PCI card, but my comp does have an AGP port. Ugh, I doubt this is even enough information so just let me know if it's not. Btw, i use win xp pro, and redhat 7.3 if that helps at all. X won't load when i try 2 use the card, but I'm still able to see the text prompt for it. any help would be appreciated

Question Video Card Question

Okay, hardware is my weakest area so i could definetly use a lil help w/ this. I don't think it's that the video card is incompatible with my motherboard because when I boot up into windows (got a dual linux/windows boot) and i'll get video as far as, say the windows boot screen, however when windows finishes loading all I get is a blank screen. The monitor of course stays on, but its just blackness, so I just plug it back into my onboard video and it works fine. Btw, lol its a Geforce 2 (old I know but i'm on a TIGHT budget). Now, it's a PCI card, but my comp does have an AGP port. Ugh, I doubt this is even enough information so just let me know if it's not. Btw, i use win xp pro, and redhat 7.3 if that helps at all. X won't load when i try 2 use the card, but I'm still able to see the text prompt for it. any help would be appreciated

The card should be compatible with your MB. It's probably a monitor or resolution / refresh rate problem. Depending on what resolution you selected the card & monitor combination may not be able to display that resolution.

Try decreasing the resolution and/or the refresh rate.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

The card should be compatible with your MB. It's probably a monitor or resolution / refresh rate problem. Depending on what resolution you selected the card & monitor combination may not be able to display that resolution.

Try decreasing the resolution and/or the refresh rate.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

The other thing that it could be is a driver problem. When the geforce 2 came out the drivers were not quite right, the updated ones can be found at:

http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

you can go through the wizard yourself as you'll know what you have

As for why it works at first then cuts out, i think (and i'm very hazy on the subject my self) that when windows starts to load it uses generic drivers that works with anything, it's only when you get fully in that it uses the drivers for the card and the settings that are specified, please if i'm wrong correct me

Shippma
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

The other thing that it could be is a driver problem. When the geforce 2 came out the drivers were not quite right, the updated ones can be found at:

http://nvidia.com/content/drivers/drivers.asp

you can go through the wizard yourself as you'll know what you have

As for why it works at first then cuts out, i think (and i'm very hazy on the subject my self) that when windows starts to load it uses generic drivers that works with anything, it's only when you get fully in that it uses the drivers for the card and the settings that are specified, please if i'm wrong correct me

Shippma
    www.simpleits.co.uk
    www.tazforum.**********.com
    Google is god ....... of the Internet

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it, and i'll go scamper downstairs now to see if it works. Thx 4 the drivers btw!

Thanks for the help guys. I appreciate it, and i'll go scamper downstairs now to see if it works. Thx 4 the drivers btw!

A friend of mine had a problem like this the other day when he brought a geforce 2 for his old pc.
    The problem might be that windows is defaulting to using your old card as the output card.
    Try deleting the old inbuilt card from your hardware manager, then restart with the computer with the monitor pluged into the geforce 2. Windows should then relise that your geforce 2 should be the primary card.
    Also make sure you have changed the settings in your Bios to say that you have a plug in card instead of in built
    Let us know how you get on

A friend of mine had a problem like this the other day when he brought a geforce 2 for his old pc.
    The problem might be that windows is defaulting to using your old card as the output card.
    Try deleting the old inbuilt card from your hardware manager, then restart with the computer with the monitor pluged into the geforce 2. Windows should then relise that your geforce 2 should be the primary card.
    Also make sure you have changed the settings in your Bios to say that you have a plug in card instead of in built
    Let us know how you get on