Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is Eraser5.3 enough?

Yeah that virtual memory can be a pain but yeah i hit that too, this is why i look forward to installing FreeBSD.....

Yeah that virtual memory can be a pain but yeah i hit that too, this is why i look forward to installing FreeBSD.....

Do you know which algorithm your wipe utility uses? Have you seriously tried to recover any info that you have wiped with it? Does it overwrite file names also? It doesn't matter how many times you wipe your disk if the utility is crap. I personally use PGP's file wipe utility for the fact that it is open source software. If it has any major gaping security holes (such as not overwriting the file or its name) the world would know about -- we can all view the source code. It is sometimes possible to recover data that has been overwritten 9 times, so if you're that paranoid, overwrite it a lot...

One more point: does anybody here know if overwriting magnetic media so much can affect the life of your hard drive, kind of like an old audio or VCR tape that's been used too much?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Do you know which algorithm your wipe utility uses? Have you seriously tried to recover any info that you have wiped with it? Does it overwrite file names also? It doesn't matter how many times you wipe your disk if the utility is crap. I personally use PGP's file wipe utility for the fact that it is open source software. If it has any major gaping security holes (such as not overwriting the file or its name) the world would know about -- we can all view the source code. It is sometimes possible to recover data that has been overwritten 9 times, so if you're that paranoid, overwrite it a lot...

One more point: does anybody here know if overwriting magnetic media so much can affect the life of your hard drive, kind of like an old audio or VCR tape that's been used too much?
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

This is a pretty long and complicated paper, but it really gets down to the intricate parts of hard drives, secure deletion of content from the drives and how data could possibly be recovered (by your hopefully hypothetical forensics officer ).

Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory

Very long and very detailed, but afaik if you truly want to know how secure your deletion methods are, this is the best resource.

<edit>
    just saw this thread on secure data removal - it may be able to help you out.
    </edit>

This is a pretty long and complicated paper, but it really gets down to the intricate parts of hard drives, secure deletion of content from the drives and how data could possibly be recovered (by your hopefully hypothetical forensics officer ).

Secure Deletion of Data from Magnetic and Solid-State Memory

Very long and very detailed, but afaik if you truly want to know how secure your deletion methods are, this is the best resource.

<edit>
    just saw this thread on secure data removal - it may be able to help you out.
    </edit>