Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Best Windows OS for ADSL?

I'm using Win2k Advanced Server right now, and it very rarely crashes on me. I've heard some good things about XP Pro, but some bad things too, so I'm not going to say anything one way or another concerning that. Any other version of Windows isn't worth it.

I'm using Win2k Advanced Server right now, and it very rarely crashes on me. I've heard some good things about XP Pro, but some bad things too, so I'm not going to say anything one way or another concerning that. Any other version of Windows isn't worth it.

I have a couple of boxes running winXP pro and another one running win2k adv server.. It's months since the last time i had to reboot them of any other reasons than hardware/software updates. I aint sure which one's the best though.

Following up delstars post here, i got to say that I've had alot af negative feedback concerning winXP, seems like it just won't work for some people. I don't know if it's computer or human malfunction though

I have a couple of boxes running winXP pro and another one running win2k adv server.. It's months since the last time i had to reboot them of any other reasons than hardware/software updates. I aint sure which one's the best though.

Following up delstars post here, i got to say that I've had alot af negative feedback concerning winXP, seems like it just won't work for some people. I don't know if it's computer or human malfunction though

I think it's both human and computer malfunction. As everyone said both W2k and XP r good. If you do choose XP, do yourself a favor and customize before using, take out the childish look all those funky colors that slow you down, might wanna rethink the auto update and the system restore, in most cases built in firewall is disabled...advice: Keep it that way. As for stability if on first install it's shitty try again..usually on second install it works very good i know sounds crazy but guess what, its true...true for me and many others. Weird aint it. Win2k adv server never tried but heard lotsa good things about it. Have fun
    [gloworange]I pLaY mY eNeMyS lIkE a ChEsS.[/gloworange]

I have had practice setting up both 98 and 2000 for this kind of thing. I would say that 98 is not a good idea. and 2k works fine.

If you plan to use this computer to share connections with your LAN which I know a lot of people do (including myself) then 2k Pro is fine, you can do it with 98 but it is harder since you can't find out the DNS servers that are in use so easily. Also with 98 you need to install connection sharing as an extra because it is not in the default install.

I have been using 2k pro for this very purpose for the last 2 months and it has not crashed once and that is on 24/7.

I am happy to help out feel free to PM me and I will help as I can.

WaveRebel

ps Virusscan is a must

I use Windows 2k Pro. A friend of mine tryed to get DSL setup a little while ago and the DSL company said that they would not support Win XP if he tryed to use it with their DSL.

i think they meant they dont know how to support winXP if he had technical problems with it. they probably have had training in certain OSs and know how to deal with those specifically, but XP is different than MS other OS and to tell someone at the home what to click on without the little manual, it would just be too difficult for all. some might know, but not all.
    adsl works just fine with winXP both home and pro. the minor problem that i see is that the install disks wil not work so the network will have to be sset up manually. no problem if yu know what you are doing, but recently got several calls from different friends trying to do the same thing with adsl and a network with winXP. it is actually very easy to do with a minor knowldege of tcp/ip.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

Arrow w2k or xp is the way to go

I've been running a Windows 2k Pro box for about 6 months now, the whole time on a ADSL. Works beautifully, never crashes, and handles mutliple downloads from multiple sites very easily without totally killing your bandwith and CPU usage. I've used Windows XP Home, wasn't bad, but I would agree that you need to get away from the fancy doodads from the old 9x systems.
    \"The only constant in the universe is change\"