Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OS for old server

OS for old server

a tricky question
    does anyone know of a good stable OS for an old 486 with 16 meg ram? i was thinking of a 3.11 server but im not sure if that will work with my network
    and most of all can it be downloaded off the net? coz i doubt theyd be selling software from the 486 era
    thanx
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998

OS for old server

a tricky question
    does anyone know of a good stable OS for an old 486 with 16 meg ram? i was thinking of a 3.11 server but im not sure if that will work with my network
    and most of all can it be downloaded off the net? coz i doubt theyd be selling software from the 486 era
    thanx
    --=::[ LeNc}{ ]::=-- stealing your time for pathetic web sites since 1998

i think your best bet would be a linux server and only install the console. dunno what linux ver cos i know next to nothing on linux
    If you can cheat and get away with it you deserve to win

i think your best bet would be a linux server and only install the console. dunno what linux ver cos i know next to nothing on linux
    If you can cheat and get away with it you deserve to win

if u have big disk,u can try linux.

but i think the 486,16M memory so slowly run as a server

if u have big disk,u can try linux.

but i think the 486,16M memory so slowly run as a server

You might try one of the various Linux distros, FreeBSD, or UNIX. Most of these OSs run fine on 486 machines.

FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/

Unix.com forums. This site is packed with useful information on UNIX
    http://www.unix.com/index.php?s=

I hope this helps a bit.

<edit>If I sound redundant it is because I started this post when the phone rang oh well... I hope these links help anyway</edit>
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

You might try one of the various Linux distros, FreeBSD, or UNIX. Most of these OSs run fine on 486 machines.

FreeBSD: http://www.freebsd.org/

Unix.com forums. This site is packed with useful information on UNIX
    http://www.unix.com/index.php?s=

I hope this helps a bit.

<edit>If I sound redundant it is because I started this post when the phone rang oh well... I hope these links help anyway</edit>
    I have a question; are you the bug, or the windshield?

ive got a 166, with 32 mb of ram that i want to network with my other 2 pc's and use that as a gateway kinda thing...orginally i wanted to install freebsd but i couldnt get the desktop to load right (i think i know how to get it to run now but i installed 2k on it)

but what i want to know is will it run a desktop ok? as i dont have the first clue how to use the cli bit

ive got a 166, with 32 mb of ram that i want to network with my other 2 pc's and use that as a gateway kinda thing...orginally i wanted to install freebsd but i couldnt get the desktop to load right (i think i know how to get it to run now but i installed 2k on it)

but what i want to know is will it run a desktop ok? as i dont have the first clue how to use the cli bit