Linux ...wow I have a lot to learn
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Linux ...wow I have a lot to learn

Ok, so Im finally breaking down, and giving in. Its time to learn Linux.
    Im taking this journey for a few reasons. one, I dont like microsofts greed and policy about "registration". 2, I like the open source idea, and 3, my boss tells me that 128 encryption in wireless is invincible. *SIGH*
    One of our clients is a bank, and they need a temporary site setup across the street from the main branch. They were originally going to do a temporary fiber run, but to do that requires burying it under main street and they just cant get that done. So my boss told them that they should do wireless, against my recomendations. I know that air snort, (linux based) given enough time will get the key cracked. I am now charged with getting my companys key, also 128, on a machine that "doesnt know it" so that I can prove that it can be done. (yes Ive showed him article after article, hes a "proove it" type boss. *sigh*)
    Now being as that is, Ive searched and searched for a windows-based wireless program, and so far havent been able to find one that will allow me to do that. If anyone knows of one, please fill me in. I still want to learn linux as the bug has definately bitten.
    So far my adventures included downloading and installing dragonlinux, a slackware version.
    Its nice, it allows the install onto a fat32 directory and doesnt require a reformat. I can do other versions, I just did this because it seemed a good learning version. Then I tried to update the kernel to get USB working right in it, as my wirelesscard is USB. (SMC 2664W)
    I know they have a linux driver out for it, but I cant seem to get it working, since the USB isnt working right.
    My question, besides that of the windows based WEP cracker, is what do you all recommend to install? whats the easiest way for a linux-newbie to install a linux distro that includes USB? which one? where do I get it and where can I get a nice walkthoguh explination on what Im doing?
    regardless if I get info on a windows WEP cracker that ALSO supports my card, (to reiterate) I DO WANT TO LEARN LINUX. Some linux nut out there is cheering now, as thats one more for the penguin and one less in M$'s pocket.....
    my hardware is a AMD processor... so the distro will be intelbased....

Avenger_jcc
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

Ok, so Im finally breaking down, and giving in. Its time to learn Linux.
    Im taking this journey for a few reasons. one, I dont like microsofts greed and policy about "registration". 2, I like the open source idea, and 3, my boss tells me that 128 encryption in wireless is invincible. *SIGH*
    One of our clients is a bank, and they need a temporary site setup across the street from the main branch. They were originally going to do a temporary fiber run, but to do that requires burying it under main street and they just cant get that done. So my boss told them that they should do wireless, against my recomendations. I know that air snort, (linux based) given enough time will get the key cracked. I am now charged with getting my companys key, also 128, on a machine that "doesnt know it" so that I can prove that it can be done. (yes Ive showed him article after article, hes a "proove it" type boss. *sigh*)
    Now being as that is, Ive searched and searched for a windows-based wireless program, and so far havent been able to find one that will allow me to do that. If anyone knows of one, please fill me in. I still want to learn linux as the bug has definately bitten.
    So far my adventures included downloading and installing dragonlinux, a slackware version.
    Its nice, it allows the install onto a fat32 directory and doesnt require a reformat. I can do other versions, I just did this because it seemed a good learning version. Then I tried to update the kernel to get USB working right in it, as my wirelesscard is USB. (SMC 2664W)
    I know they have a linux driver out for it, but I cant seem to get it working, since the USB isnt working right.
    My question, besides that of the windows based WEP cracker, is what do you all recommend to install? whats the easiest way for a linux-newbie to install a linux distro that includes USB? which one? where do I get it and where can I get a nice walkthoguh explination on what Im doing?
    regardless if I get info on a windows WEP cracker that ALSO supports my card, (to reiterate) I DO WANT TO LEARN LINUX. Some linux nut out there is cheering now, as thats one more for the penguin and one less in M$'s pocket.....
    my hardware is a AMD processor... so the distro will be intelbased....

Avenger_jcc
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

avenjer_jcc i tried to upload a pdf file calld learn linux in 24 hours but it was taking to long so i found this link that has the pdf file and many other check them out for info if your new to linux these files should be a good help to you

http://www.flashdance.cx/books/more/

hope this helps
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

avenjer_jcc i tried to upload a pdf file calld learn linux in 24 hours but it was taking to long so i found this link that has the pdf file and many other check them out for info if your new to linux these files should be a good help to you

http://www.flashdance.cx/books/more/

hope this helps
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

You could try mandrake. AFAIK this distro also has the option of installing to a fat32 partition using linx4win but is a full distro with an up to date kernel. It runs a lot slower on fat32 but it does run

You could try mandrake. AFAIK this distro also has the option of installing to a fat32 partition using linx4win but is a full distro with an up to date kernel. It runs a lot slower on fat32 but it does run

Hey prodikal, that is cool link. Plenty of good ebooks there.
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......

Hey prodikal, that is cool link. Plenty of good ebooks there.
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......

yeh, so no sleep for me today i got a 400 page linux book to read (:

yeh, so no sleep for me today i got a 400 page linux book to read (: