Bump function abuse
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bump function abuse

Bump function abuse

I noticed that the main page have just been literally flooded under bumped tutorials.
    I think we could prevent this in the future if we add a number of bump limit like as in the AntiPoints system (the limitation which prevents you to give too AntiPoints each day).

It's only my little suggestion, if you have another one...
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Bump function abuse

I noticed that the main page have just been literally flooded under bumped tutorials.
    I think we could prevent this in the future if we add a number of bump limit like as in the AntiPoints system (the limitation which prevents you to give too AntiPoints each day).

It's only my little suggestion, if you have another one...
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

I thought there was only the possibility to bump up a thread evry 5 hours, but that didn't realy seem to work..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

I thought there was only the possibility to bump up a thread evry 5 hours, but that didn't realy seem to work..
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Old Fart
    As far as I can determine, the bump feature works just fine, but there may be an exploit that we don't know about. Those of you who have been around awhile may remember an incident where the entire home page was covered by threads started by me, which if memory serves correctly, was the impetus behind the five-hour-you-must-post-to-bump rule. We have a small (minded) group of troublemakers here at AO, and this certainly smells of their handiwork as did the afore mentioned incident. Isn't it a shame when the "kiddies" and "little bois" attempt to ruin a wonderful site with immature pranks like this?
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Old Fart
    As far as I can determine, the bump feature works just fine, but there may be an exploit that we don't know about. Those of you who have been around awhile may remember an incident where the entire home page was covered by threads started by me, which if memory serves correctly, was the impetus behind the five-hour-you-must-post-to-bump rule. We have a small (minded) group of troublemakers here at AO, and this certainly smells of their handiwork as did the afore mentioned incident. Isn't it a shame when the "kiddies" and "little bois" attempt to ruin a wonderful site with immature pranks like this?
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Im just guessing but maybe the limitation today is: "1 bump per thread per person per 5 hours" ? That would explain the amount of "Bumped Up" old threads since it would be possible to bump different threads and that way cover the front page.

Maybe a limitation like 1 "bump up" per person per 20 minutes would be better ?

~micael

Im just guessing but maybe the limitation today is: "1 bump per thread per person per 5 hours" ? That would explain the amount of "Bumped Up" old threads since it would be possible to bump different threads and that way cover the front page.

Maybe a limitation like 1 "bump up" per person per 20 minutes would be better ?

~micael

AFAIK it was always that a person can only bump the same thread once every five hours. Nothing stops people from bumping many different threads just once. JP planned to add a bump-only-if-you-posted-in-thread restriction, but that didn't seem to ever get in effect.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency

AFAIK it was always that a person can only bump the same thread once every five hours. Nothing stops people from bumping many different threads just once. JP planned to add a bump-only-if-you-posted-in-thread restriction, but that didn't seem to ever get in effect.
    [HvC]Terr: L33T Technical Proficiency