Thread: WinME: HidServ -- possible virus?

Question WinME: HidServ -- possible virus?

Hello,
    A program in Windows ME crashed (what else is new?)...and so I hit ctrl alt and del to kill the program right? Now, looking at that window, Explorer and Systray were running as usual...along with the dead program I wanted to exit. Now, I noticed something interesting. There was a program listed there called Hidserv...

I restarted the computer and yes it was still there. Is this anything to be worried about? I have TPF firewall installed and all that was listening was 'system', ports 137-139 for windows file sharing, so the mystery program wasn't trying to connect to the internet at all.

I hit ctrl alt delete again and stopped that program (hidserv) as well, and nothing happened. Windows was still working. Could this be a keylogger, or something to that sort?

What should I do?
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

Question WinME: HidServ -- possible virus?

Hello,
    A program in Windows ME crashed (what else is new?)...and so I hit ctrl alt and del to kill the program right? Now, looking at that window, Explorer and Systray were running as usual...along with the dead program I wanted to exit. Now, I noticed something interesting. There was a program listed there called Hidserv...

I restarted the computer and yes it was still there. Is this anything to be worried about? I have TPF firewall installed and all that was listening was 'system', ports 137-139 for windows file sharing, so the mystery program wasn't trying to connect to the internet at all.

I hit ctrl alt delete again and stopped that program (hidserv) as well, and nothing happened. Windows was still working. Could this be a keylogger, or something to that sort?

What should I do?

-The Sawshank Redemption

Don't worry, this file is an official component of Windows which deals with mouse, keyboards and USB devices.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

Don't worry, this file is an official component of Windows which deals with mouse, keyboards and USB devices.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

oh, lol...thanks alot man

-The Sawshank Redemption

oh, lol...thanks alot man

-The Sawshank Redemption