lost DNS server... I think

Thread: lost DNS server... I think

Hi...

I've a client machine on a small win2000 Lan here in China. The lan keeps on losing the internet but I discover that a programme busy downloading is still downloading - and a web page I have I can still refresh.

But no new web pages can be found.

Ping reports 'unknown name' on a name ping and times out on an IP number ping.

The internet is effectively not there, but it is there. So I surmise the DNS server has gone down.

That server is outside our lan I suppose.

My question is: how can I check that this is really the problem. What might cause it. What can we here in the lan do about it - i.e. can we have our own dns server or something... or restart theirs?

regards
    abrogard

Hi...

I've a client machine on a small win2000 Lan here in China. The lan keeps on losing the internet but I discover that a programme busy downloading is still downloading - and a web page I have I can still refresh.

But no new web pages can be found.

Ping reports 'unknown name' on a name ping and times out on an IP number ping.

The internet is effectively not there, but it is there. So I surmise the DNS server has gone down.

That server is outside our lan I suppose.

My question is: how can I check that this is really the problem. What might cause it. What can we here in the lan do about it - i.e. can we have our own dns server or something... or restart theirs?

regards
    abrogard

Alright, if your IP ping is timing out, then the problem shouldn't be with the DNS. I'd check your gateway machine and/or contact your ISP about it.