Internet Druid

Thread: Internet Druid

Getting Linux online through a cable modem

Great to be onboard, my question is this. Do I have to have internet druid installed or included with my Linux os in order to set up my nic and get online through my cable modem? I just installed Redhat 7 and from what I understand (and all I know is how much I don't know) is that you need this. Where and how can I get it so I can start using my Linux box to do my surfing. Thx.

You don't really need it, but it is helpful. It's just a configuration tool, and nothing that it can do can't be done otherwise with a little know-how. First set your box up with a DHCP client (all of the cable IP's I've seen are semi-static : they remain the same for a couple months, then suddenly change. I could go into explanation on thisfor those that are curious, but I'm rather tired right now.). Then set all of your internet routing through the NIC. Sometimes you don't have to do this, sometimes you do. I've had some boxes that tried to route through the phone modem that was installed but not plugged in. Created all sorts of mess. Anyways, after that, you should be set.

Edit : Oh yeah. You also have to find out what the neighboorhood's gateway IP is and get some DNS addresses, but that isn't that much of a problem. If you need a more detailed explanation on everything, just ask. I'm sure I can find several tutorials explaining it.

Thanks delstar, I'll give it a try. Are there other versions of Linux, more easily config. for internet access?