eyes in the sky
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: eyes in the sky

eyes in the sky

In London, the Transportation Agency had some posters put up in the hopes of making people feel more secure in using public transportation. The posters are of eyeballs floating in the sky, over a bus, looking down watching it, and its occupants.

One observer states:

"I thought it was a powerful piece of political satire from a disruptive citizen's group, but then it dawned on me that they were real. It's acutely disturbing."

http://www.wired.com/news/privacy/0,1848,56152,00.html

The government states their cameras are reducing crime. Others think its just making crime go to places where there are no cameras.

So does that mean they should put cameras everywhere? Or how long will it be before the bad guys find out the proper color to be invisible on camera. That’s funny! There are only two people on the bus and they both have their hands up! Maybe we could outlaw certain colors. Or better yet, permits to leave the house only given with a verifiable itinerary.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Its part of our everyday life now. I don't even think about them.

They are there where ever I go....

Driving on the interstate, going into get coffee, pumping gas, at work, the movies, bars,.... everywhere.

I think the only place I have yet so see them is in the bathroom... but not for too much longer. They'll find some excuse to put them in the bathrooms.

I don't even pay attention anymore. I used to give them the finger, but my hand started to get tired because there were so many of them.

Soon after they make everyone go to digital cable.... you'll have to look for tiny cameras in your new tvs and entertainment components. Digital Cable is 2 ways...

Thats me just being paranoid though...

Closer and closer to 1984.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

There are cameras in banks, Walmarts, almost everywhere, but these are businesses. I don't like them, but can live with them. When the cops start sticking them on the streetcorners to monitor us, I object. I've read that in the UK the excuse is so they can better protect the public.

I think it's a major intrusion into personal privacy. Wanna bet, though, that people in the major cities won't raise a whisper in protest when they start to appear?

Banned
    Actually when they put cameras into streetcorners here there was a few groups of guys that got a bunch of waterguns then filled them with paint and the covered the cameras with the paint. One guy even got a bat and a ladder then tried breaking the camera's plastic coating.

Alot of peaple don't really care when it comes to privacy & freedom and they think they will always be free from being a slave to security but did you know that when Pres. Bush was talking about haveing war with Iraq there were protesters at the whitehouse so Pres. Bush setup lines called "freedom of speach zones". The protesters where told that if they crossed the lines they would be part of a terrorist investigations.

Its funny.... I thought the whole country was one big free zone.

I'e even seen cameras in bathrooms....near the entrances. They're everywhere. Planes, homes, schools, public restaurants....there's no escape. It is disturbing that we have to have cameras becuz we can't trust one another.
    I love pizza...........Do you?

Ok... I feel like inventing an EMP grenade just to get some Privacy....There are CTV camera's every where....

/me Glares at the nearest camera.

- Noia
    With all the subtlety of an artillery barrage / Follow blindly, for the true path is sketchy at best. .:Bring OS X to x86!:.
    Og ingen kan minnast dei linne drag i dronningas andlet den fagre dag Då landet her kvilte i heilag fred og alle hadde kjærleik å elske med.

Noia > actually I think the govenrment already has a project to develop EMP weapons. I don't really think there is much we can do about privacy at this point, its almost too late to stop the avalacne now. I'm pretty confident that right now my college is logging all my keystrokes, and caching a history of everwhere I go on the internet, and my home ISP is probably doing the same.
    You're not your post count, You're not your avatar or sig, You're not how fast your internet connection is, You are not your processor, hard drive, or graphics card. You're the all-singing, all-dancing crap of AO
    09 F9 11 02 9D 74 E3 5B D8 41 56 C5 63 56 88 C0

I really worry about my privacy. This is going to be a huge debate in the near future here in the US, as the privacy advocates square up against the police force over use of these cameras in public places.

The polices standpoint is that you do not have a right to privacy in a public place. The privacy advocates is that a public place is something that is too broadly defined. They use the argument that a car is a private place and that people are free of illegal search and siezure while in one (the reason a warrent or consent is needed to search a vehicle). If a camera is tracking a person in a vehicle then they are intruding upon their right to privacy within that vehicle that happens to be traversing a public place.

I think this is going to wind up at the Supreme Court in the very near future. I don't like police tracking people all over the place, it leads to too much possiblity of misuse... I think the Stasi would be proud of what the US is doing.

El Diablo

Originally posted here by Syini666
    Noia > actually I think the govenrment already has a project to develop EMP weapons. I don't really think there is much we can do about privacy at this point, its almost too late to stop the avalacne now. I'm pretty confident that right now my college is logging all my keystrokes, and caching a history of everwhere I go on the internet, and my home ISP is probably doing the same.
    I'd have to agree with you there Syini... most schools and ISPs likely are using a Proxy service on the way out of their network to the wild. At least its more likely at the school I'd guess. Maybe just me...

Near the place of my employment, there are tons of cameras. I am located across from a verizon and they have a half dozen on each side of their building. I can go out front and see 6 of them by just looking in one direction.

So tell me why, on Friday when the bank was robbed (where I work), they are unable to find the person who did it.

They had to have been caught on at least 4 cameras just in the bank and then probably between 3-6 outside depending on their escape route...

In the "business district" where I am, they are everywhere. They have now gone past the limits of the "business district" and are even in the ghetto...

Doesn't make much sense to me.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.