Thread: Windows XP network card isue

Windows XP network card isue

Hey all, I have a quick question for the WinXP ppl here.

I used winXP pro (corp) with cable internet and a small home network (one other box runing linux and bsd).

both ran thrue a realtec 8139 (realcrap card)

one died and I switched one realtec for an old 3com 900B-Combo

all fine, untill I switch on network sharing and then I get a popup stating the needed IP is already taken by another network card.

I know Windows XP remembers network cards and their IP numbers, I remeber swapping a card in a friends puter and giving the new card the old IP. I got a popup stating: Warning some other card (not in the puter now) has that IP allready, but I could still change it.

Anyone know how to flush the old cards database in windowsXP ??

[Edit] Ah I found that typing in the IP (192.168.0.1) helps !!
    problem fixed.

So does anyone know how, where and why Microsoft Windows XP stores all this usefull (???) information ??[/Edit]
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !

Try reinstalling TCP/IP? http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=1016

This another tip might be the same, but it looks more complicated: http://www.tweakxp.com/tweakxp/display.asp?id=1483
    Q: Why do computer scientists confuse Christmas and Halloween?
    A: Because Oct 31 = Dec 25

obviously XP somehow thinks (or thought) the old card was still there using that ip address, you could try flushing the dns cache or renewing dhcp for all network adapters on the computer in question, we had a problem with a win2k server for our net and we had to flush the dns cache to fix it

here is an extract from the XP help center further detailing my suggestion

IpconfigDisplays all current TCP/IP network configuration values and refreshes Dynamic Host Configuration Protocol (DHCP) and Domain Name System (DNS) settings. Used without parameters, ipconfig displays the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway for all adapters.

Syntax
    ipconfig [/all] [/renew [Adapter]] [/release [Adapter]] [/flushdns] [/displaydns] [/registerdns] [/showclassid Adapter] [/setclassid Adapter [ClassID]]

Parameters
    /all
    Displays the full TCP/IP configuration for all adapters. Without this parameter, ipconfig displays only the IP address, subnet mask, and default gateway values for each adapter. Adapters can represent physical interfaces, such as installed network adapters, or logical interfaces, such as dial-up connections.
    /renew [Adapter]
    Renews DHCP configuration for all adapters (if an adapter is not specified) or for a specific adapter if the Adapter parameter is included. This parameter is available only on computers with adapters that are configured to obtain an IP address automatically. To specify an adapter name, type the adapter name that appears when you use ipconfig without parameters.
    /release [Adapter]
    Sends a DHCPRELEASE message to the DHCP server to release the current DHCP configuration and discard the IP address configuration for either all adapters (if an adapter is not specified) or for a specific adapter if the Adapter parameter is included. This parameter disables TCP/IP for adapters configured to obtain an IP address automatically. To specify an adapter name, type the adapter name that appears when you use ipconfig without parameters.
    /flushdns
    Flushes and resets the contents of the DNS client resolver cache. During DNS troubleshooting, you can use this procedure to discard negative cache entries from the cache, as well as any other entries that have been added dynamically.
    /displaydns
    Displays the contents of the DNS client resolver cache, which includes both entries preloaded from the local Hosts file and any recently obtained resource records for name queries resolved by the computer. The DNS Client service uses this information to resolve frequently queried names quickly, before querying its configured DNS servers.
    /registerdns
    Initiates manual dynamic registration for the DNS names and IP addresses that are configured at a computer. You can use this parameter to troubleshoot a failed DNS name registration or resolve a dynamic update problem between a client and the DNS server without rebooting the client computer. The DNS settings in the advanced properties of the TCP/IP protocol determine which names are registered in DNS.
    /showclassid Adapter
    Displays the DHCP class ID for a specified adapter. To see the DHCP class ID for all adapters, use the asterisk (*) wildcard character in place of Adapter. This parameter is available only on computers with adapters that are configured to obtain an IP address automatically.
    /setclassid Adapter [ClassID]
    Configures the DHCP class ID for a specified adapter. To set the DHCP class ID for all adapters, use the asterisk (*) wildcard character in place of Adapter. This parameter is available only on computers with adapters that are configured to obtain an IP address automatically. If a DHCP class ID is not specified, the current class ID is removed.
    /?
    Displays help at the command prompt.
    Remarks
    <legal stuff>
    the above quoteed material is not my own work, it is copyright from microsoft and is part of winXP, i dont take credit for the quoted part, only the suggestion..
    </legal stuff>

This may sound silly. But make sure you are enabling ICS on the card which connects to your ISP, not your internal network. I've done this dozens of times but a couple of weeks ago, I got stumped for three hours because I was trying to share the wrong connection. Win2K gave me exactly the same error message you are getting.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

um, I am sure you know this or did, but did u try manually changing the IP to what you wanted? Also make sure no other system on ur lan has same ip. If this basic troubleshooting does not fix then u go step higher and start smacking XP like a lil $#%...I wont repeat what other guys and gals said but if basics dont work then u dig deep inside.
    [gloworange]I pLaY mY eNeMyS lIkE a ChEsS.[/gloworange]

you can delete the old networkcard
    go to systemmanager hardware detection
    their you can say uninstall hardware
    let him show you the hidden hardware and there you can find the old card
    (thats why xp shows you network connction (2) (3) (4) ....
    because xp imagine all old cards and the settings

try to change the pci slot should work too

i hope my english isnt so bad that you couldnt understand the description =)
    ICK

You can't do that in Windows XP, or actually 2000 either, only in Windows 9x would the hardware come up (with an X if I remember correctly) whenevr a piece of hardware was installed but not present.

Whenever a piece of hardware is not in the computer, it just does not show up (typically) in the Device Manager. I've gone through problems like this with conflicting sound cards, because I would use onboard... then down the road get an actual sound card and disable onboard and install the physical card. Always came down to driver issues actually. What you need to do is uninstall the card in Device Manager BEFORE you take it out of the computer. Just simply uninstall, shut down, then install the new card. Works like a charm.

That would be my understanding of how "easily" to fix the problem.
    [shadow]There is no right and wrong, only fun and boring...
    Formatting my server because someone hacked into it sounds pretty boring to me...
    That\'s why it\'s all about AntiOnline.com!
    [/shadow]