Thread: X MultiMedia System problem

X MultiMedia System problem

Hi,

I have a little problem, when i play something in XMMS i cant hear anything, but when i go to the directory "Start Here" (i have Red Hat 8.0) and i choose System and then soundcard detection, it sounds fine, so what could it be???

Thanks in advance

Encrypted
    I\'ll sleap when i\'m dead

X MultiMedia System problem

Hi,

I have a little problem, when i play something in XMMS i cant hear anything, but when i go to the directory "Start Here" (i have Red Hat 8.0) and i choose System and then soundcard detection, it sounds fine, so what could it be???

Thanks in advance

Encrypted
    I\'ll sleap when i\'m dead

hmm .. i have no idea about red hat .. but could it be codecs or something wrong with the player ... something missing .. did u try other files .. and all do the same ... !!
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

hmm .. i have no idea about red hat .. but could it be codecs or something wrong with the player ... something missing .. did u try other files .. and all do the same ... !!
    When the power of Love overcomes the Love of power, the world will know peace... Jimi Hendrix
    -------------------------------------------------------------
    I dream of giving birth to a child who will ask...... what was war?

What it sounds like is that there may be something else with priority on the sound board. For example, gnome uses esd for its sound output. If esd is running, xmms doesn't seem to take control of the sound board. I'd be looking to see if there is anything else that is using the sound board.
    I had some similar issues to yours however mine were particular to FreeBSD running the Enlightenment window manager with the sounds turned on. XMMS wouldn't use the sound board when it was perceived to be in use by another component.

On a slightly different approach however, you may have a faulty install of xmms. Perhaps a rebuild would be in order.

Hope that this helps, and regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

What it sounds like is that there may be something else with priority on the sound board. For example, gnome uses esd for its sound output. If esd is running, xmms doesn't seem to take control of the sound board. I'd be looking to see if there is anything else that is using the sound board.
    I had some similar issues to yours however mine were particular to FreeBSD running the Enlightenment window manager with the sounds turned on. XMMS wouldn't use the sound board when it was perceived to be in use by another component.

On a slightly different approach however, you may have a faulty install of xmms. Perhaps a rebuild would be in order.

Hope that this helps, and regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

in xmms go to options, and select a good output source, if you mainly use KDE that would be Artsd (could be you have to install the Arts-Plugin first) then it should work.

also you could select oss (wich usualy works)
    if you don't hear sound, it could be some app is useing the /dev/dsp
    check that out by entering (in a console as root) fuser /dev/dsp
    then kill that PID by typing (suppose pid nr is 1932) kill -9 1932

that should do the trick too.
    ASCII stupid question, get a stupid ANSI.
    When in Russia, pet a PETSCII.

Get your ass over to SLAYRadio the best station for C64 Remixes !