Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: zonealarm/windows98se shutdown

zonealarm/windows98se shutdown

I have just installed zonealarm pro on my pc i have windows 98se installed and the problem i have is when i come to shutdown windows it hangs at the blue screen ie 'windows is shuting down '.I only have this problem when i install zone can anyone advise as to the problem and how i mite resolve it
    My system is
    windows 98se
    athlon xp 2000+
    640 pc133 sdram
    geforce 4
    abit motherboard
    80GB harddrive split into two 40GB
    soundblaster 5.1 soundcard

You might want to uninstall it and then try it again. Maybe you miseed a step somewhere a long the line just a suggestion.

Developer Extraordinar
    My suggestion: Don't use ZoneAlarm. From my personal experiences it isn't that great. I user Kerio Personal firewall. I've used Outpost and I've like that too. I just don't suggest Zone Alarm. But if you have to use it try uninstalling it and reinstalling it, as ebo said. If that dosn't work, it's probably a Windows setting. *punches windows*

MicroBurn

I have had a lot of win 98se boxes in the enterprise with shutdown problems, hanging at that screen. Microsoft has 2 different patches available for shutdown problems as well as a reg hack. Installing the patches and reg hack has solved the problem on all but 2 machines out of over 100 with the problem.

You might want to check out this TID for a starting point to troubleshoot the problem.

http://support.microsoft.com/default...EN-US;q238096&
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

kingy_6_1 -
    If you already have the MS shutdown patches loaded and are having this difficulty - try installing them. On some motherboards (FIC is one) these patches tend to make matters worse instead of better. When/if you try uninstalling and then reinstalling ZA Pro. you will need to ensure that all registry entries are deleted for the program before reinstalling (ZA will NOT delete everything). RegCleaner by Jouni Vuorio (freeware) does a great job. If you don't have a clean install of ZA Pro, you will end up with the same problem.
    . . . V
    All truths are easy to understand once they are discovered; the point is to discover them. What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

Originally posted here by MicroBurn
    My suggestion: Don't use ZoneAlarm. From my personal experiences it isn't that great. I user Kerio Personal firewall. I've used Outpost and I've like that too. I just don't suggest Zone Alarm. But if you have to use it try uninstalling it and reinstalling it, as ebo said. If that dosn't work, it's probably a Windows setting. *punches windows*

MicroBurn

Heh, gotta agree. If I were you, I'd try to use Tiny Personal Firewall, Sygate Firewall, or even BlackICE. Those were alot better (IMHO) then ZoneAlarm. Again, I agree, ebo said to try re-installing it which is some pretty good advice because you might have missed something important or didn't fully read the manual, etc. Don't just click next on everything, lol, but instead, read what it says. Trust me, it might take awhile, but you'll be happy you did it. I'm not to comfortable with ZA and I don't think it's security, but again, JMHO.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Re: zonealarm/windows98se shutdown

Originally posted here by kingy_6_1
    I have just installed zonealarm pro on my pc i have windows 98se installed and the problem i have is when i come to shutdown windows it hangs at the blue screen ie 'windows is shuting down '.I only have this problem when i install zone can anyone advise as to the problem and how i mite resolve it
    My system is
    windows 98se
    athlon xp 2000+
    640 pc133 sdram
    geforce 4
    abit motherboard
    80GB harddrive split into two 40GB
    soundblaster 5.1 soundcard
    Not an uncommon problem, I'm afraid. The first step would be to uninstall Zone Alarm, then try to shut down - if your PC does shut down, you have verified that Zone Alarm was the culprit. You can try a reinstall again, but my guess is you'll have the same problem. As mentioned already, Microsoft does have some fixes for the shutdown problem, but they are not 100% guaranteed to work - on our network, I've fiddled with a good number of machines running 98SE that won't shut down - I've used Microsoft's patches and the like, but not all of those problems were solved. If the patches don't work with Zone Alarm installed, I would look elsewhere for a firewall - Zone Alarm isn't that great anyway..
    - Maverick

Wink zonealarm/win98 shutdown

Thanx's guy's for your replys will have a good rethink bout firewall's mite go back to sygate

anyway thanx's again

Senior since the 3 dot era

a note:

640 pc133 sdram
    I have noticed that you are using more than 512MB Ram in Win98, perhaps reading this article about stability problems in Win98 due to large memory is interesting:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;EN-US;181862

zonealarm/win98 shutdown

Hi VictorKaum. I do know that if you have more than 512 MB ram it can give you prob's but i dont seem to get anyother sort of problem well not so far anyway.I think its just zone myself but to be honest it has not done it for a while the thing it does now is when i boot up or reboot it opens my dial up box ever time but i do belive there is a patch for it. Anyway thanx's for your comments