Thread: ntop

ntop

Hi All,

I have been playing around with this openssource tool an my linux machine, and found it very good. Thought that I would post it here.

It is not so much a security tool, but more a network analysis tool.

ntop is a network traffic probe that shows the network usage, similar to what the popular top Unix command does. ntop is based on libpcap and it has been written in a portable way in order to virtually run on every Unix platform and on Win32 as well.

ntop users can use a a web browser (e.g. netscape) to navigate through ntop (that acts as a web server) traffic information and get a dump of the network status. In the latter case, ntop can be seen as a simple RMON-like agent with an embedded web interface. The use of make ntop easy to use and suitable for monitoring various kind of networks.
    It can be downloaded from here:

http://www.ntop.org/ntop.html
    SoggyBottom.

[glowpurple]There were so many fewer questions when the stars where still just the holes to heaven - JJ[/glowpurple] [gloworange]I sure could use a vacation from this bull$hit, three ringed circus side show of freaks. - Tool. [/gloworange]

sounds pretty cool. it is available for the win32 platform as well so ill try it out tomorrow 56k @ home :-(
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

I've mentioned about ntop here while discussing some other network management tools:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthread...104#post579104

Yes, I've been playing with ntop and it's cool. It's a network traffic analysis tool, it can run on win32, and that leads into a question: why did you post in *nix Security Discussions?

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

Another great network protocol analyzer is Ethereal and this is my personal favorite for *nix and windows.

Source: Ethereal
    Ethereal is a free network protocol analyzer for Unix and Windows. It allows you to examine data from a live network or from a capture file on disk. You can interactively browse the capture data, viewing summary and detail information for each packet. Ethereal has several powerful features, including a rich display filter language and the ability to view the reconstructed stream of a TCP session.
    ~micael

From what I understand ntop sniffs only sniffs the local segment to get it's data right? So you'd have to have sensors spread in each segment if you wanted to use it as a permanent monitoring tool?

Ammo
    Credit travels up, blame travels down -- The Boss