Thread: Need advice on how to create something

Need advice on how to create something

I build and sell computers on the side for some extra $

Every time someone wants a computer they have tell me what they want then I have too look up how much it will cost...etc

I would like to create some drop down boxes with different options to choose from. Then a review button to see what you chose and the price. Then a submit button to send in the request to me.

Well I know how to make drop down boxes (big deal) but I’m not sure on how to go about doing the rest. Any help would be appreciated.
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

Banned
    your looking at building at database which holds your entries and it's values.
    you'll also have to use javascript to tally-up the prices to compose a total.

oracle is a good database compiler, as well as sql....

hope that helps...

more: here's a link to MySQL http://www.mysql.com/ (Free under GPL)

Here's the link to Oracle, but far from free... http://www.oracle.com/

yeah the host I'm under now has mysql and I know some about it. So i guess I will use that. Thanks,
    aislinn, Aria, BTBAM, chevelle, codeseven, Cky, dredg, evergreen terrace, from autumn to ashes,hopesfall, hxc, luti-kriss, nirvana, norma jean, shai hulud, this hero dies, tool, underoath, zao,

In my opinion use PHP/MySQL combination. PHP for the scripting and coding part and MySQL database to store your data. You can learn more about php at www.php.net.

Manpreet
    Hi! I am new to these forums.......

If you need to update the prices on a daily basis, SQL would be the way to go. However, if you just want to set up something quick, just use simple HTML and Javascript. Use a form to create the drop down selections and the submit button. You can use the formmail.pl from Matt's Script Archive to have the form emailed to whatever email address you choose. And just find a script to calculate the totals. Not that hard. hope that helps
    Your actions speak so loud that I cannot hear the words you are saying - Emerson

You might want to consider doing client-side price calculations (in Javascript) in response to changes in the drop-downs, that way people can immediately see what the total cost is going to be if they choose a different HD option or something.

There are quite a few sellers who do this - it's not rocket science.

In this case, you might want to use a good ole' CGI script/PHP script or use a WWW Form. All work well, and when using a WWW form, the order is directly sent to you and you can fill in which question's you'd like to ask when they order. Hope's I helped!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Try this links it javascript site some know bout this site
    www.javascript.com
    www.internet.com
    http://scriptsearch.internet.com/javascript/

you can find some tutorials javascript in these site
    hope this help you