Thread: linux vs windows

Disgruntled Postal Worker fourdc's Avatar

linux vs windows

It was supposed to be easy...

Build a new case & PS. Add a new MB and a much newer faster processor. Add 1 G of ram. New CD-r drive. New video card.

Swap 2 hard drives into the system. 1 with W98, the other Redhat 7.3.

Linux comes up, kudzu finds the missing equipment and finds the new equipment and it works. Redhat flies.

W98 finds the changes, loads the drivers and locks up on the splash screen. XFX techs (video card) tell me the only fix is reloading windows.

I've choked on a lot of crap over the years on how Linux was so difficult. I guess its time to wipe windows and tell the kids they'll use a new GUI.

Dave
    ddddc

"Somehow saying I told you so just doesn't cover it" Will Smith in I, Robot

sounds like a good idea, really youre killing 2 birds w/ one stone here, you get rid of a crummy microsoft o/s from you machine and you give yhe kids a head start with linux

install wine (if you havn't already) and you'll be able to run most of the windows programs on linux anyway, all the experiences i've had with linux have been positive and you learn a lot more about computers using commands and manually setting up lots of things than you would with windoze...

and really linux with GUI i find easy to use, your kids shouldn't have any problem adapting, instead of start, you use a foot (gnome) or a ger icon (KDE), nice and simple, just don't let them log in as root....

Windows doesn’t always take well to major hardware up-grades. Once I upgraded my mother board and my video card at the same time. Lets just say in the time it took me to get all the horrid driver issues worked out I could of just reinstalled windows 1/2 the time. I for get the name exactly but there’s a way to make Linux look like windows. Might mean less complaining from other family members.
    Its not software piracy. I’m just making multiple off site backups.

Id say linux is the way to go. it a lot more powerful and you will learn alot more about the way a system should work than if you use windows.
    not even microsoft trust there products. they disavowed win ME and i dont think they run there websites on there own servers (dont quote me on that... nmap isnt working right yet so i cant check up on that.....yet)

either way im still a linux fan.
    still just waiting for my linux iso to download. takes forever on a 33.6k
    really good thing bout linux is that most of that antique hardware, that im sure u must have lying around somewhere, will work perfectly.

l8erz
    HacTek
    Eagles may soar.... But weasles don\'t get sucked into jet engines

I use win2000 server and Mandrake 8.2(I know I'm a little behind,I'll get around to 9.0 eventually).I think it would be great for your kids to learn *nix at a young age.If they're anything like I was when I was young they'll probably soak it up faster than you,but I'd jack up that security because if there's anything I've learned from my youngest brother it's that a little kid can do more damage in a short period of time than any skiddy you'll ever run across. Look at the bright side.It will save you a ton of money on new M$ products every other year,and even more when your kids reach college age and want a computer of their own and only know windows OS's and other M$ products.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

I just recently got to college a couple of months ago and have the great honor of installing and teaching all of my friends how to use linux because they saw how much better it was It's a great thing and I think if you can expose your kids to it at an early age, you can get them before the Microsoft propoganda sinks in. Some of the kids here said Linux looks like too much work for them...I guess they don't like to think anymore. Have fun with RH
    HaLCy0n

\"Press any key to continue, or any other key to quit.\"

Ask any techie who knows his craft, and he will tell you that if you do major upgrades such as new mobo or cpu or something similar...guess what? Windows will choke and die. No, but seriously you will have some serious problems with drivers. In most case you will never get past by the screen where it detects new Hardware and drivers for it, and if you are lucky you will make it work. But as rule of thumb with winblows reformat will fix 99% of problems with ur pc if you are running WINDOWS. Of course if you upgrade ur HD or Vid Card you install new drivers and you good to go but with CPU and Mobo diff story...been there done that.

And as for linux I hate it...YEAH RITE. Everybody knows Linux/BSD kicks ass. Personally I prefer BSD, freedom to the world of internet and blah blah. If you start off your kids with linux, there is a problem in school they might be smarted then most other kids who stuck with M$ and ur kids might be more open minded then most other kids who stuck to M$. I give u props for introducing ur kids to fun and challenging world of Linux. Next step...open book and learn some programming and take compelte control of the system. I know some of this sounds stupid but what do u expect from a hungry man, who did all his work and now sitting and thinking what else he can do at work....
    [gloworange]I pLaY mY eNeMyS lIkE a ChEsS.[/gloworange]

I just ended up doing the same deal. Swap out motherboard and processor, get blue screen, got mad, put Redhat 8.1 on the machine and am downloading Slackware cause I've never messed with that distro. Kinda glad Windows blew up on me now.

Slackware is wicked!
    i know it's all personal preference but i just love it.
    i'm getting it sent to me this weekend coz i cant be bothered downloading it.
    cant wait
    *to myself* yeah, yeah, yeah, Slackware......sorry
    Eagles may soar.... But weasles don\'t get sucked into jet engines