Proxy!

Thread: Proxy!

Banned

Post Proxy!

Hey everyone,
    this is my first post so bare with me!
    I am at the unfortuneate position to attend a university whose administrator is a real @#%#$.
    Despite the thing that we can't install anything (even winamp), the Cyber patrol comes up all the time, we can't use FTP!

Can you believe this?
    I have found some URLs for divx movies and I use FlashFXP and I connect to port 21 and nothing happens. It tries to connect, but nothing happens!

Is this becasue of the proxy?
    We are using win 2k.
    I tried to search to google about firewall piercing but nothing interesting came up.
    Is there a program or something to use to be able to use FlashFXP?

The reason they have restricted FTP out is probably because of people downloading ilegal or copyrighted material onto the computers they are legaly responsible for.

This is most likely being blocked by the proxy server that is used by your university for accessing the internet. It can be configured at an IP address level that is access will be on a per machine basis. Or if they are using a system such as microsoft ISA server, then they can link the access control to the login names/access groups and control it that way.

WaveRebel

ps If you happen to be logged into the system as yourself, then if you do suceed you will most likely be found out, as all enterprise level firewalls and proxies that I know of keep access logs.

Re: Proxy!

Originally posted here by istar
    Hey everyone,
    this is my first post so bare with me!
    I am at the unfortuneate position to attend a university whose administrator is a real @#%#$.
    Despite the thing that we can't install anything (even winamp), the Cyber patrol comes up all the time, we can't use FTP!

Can you believe this?
    I have found some URLs for divx movies and I use FlashFXP and I connect to port 21 and nothing happens. It tries to connect, but nothing happens!

Is this becasue of the proxy?
    We are using win 2k.
    I tried to search to google about firewall piercing but nothing interesting came up.
    Is there a program or something to use to be able to use FlashFXP?

I'm sure that there are blocks on those services for a reason, not to be messed with unless for a valid reason. The administrator is in control of his network - if you have a legitimate reason for gaining access to something that is being blocked, your best bet is to contact the administrator and explain your situation. If you don't have a legitimate reason (downloading movies?), then you are being blocked as you should be..
    - Maverick

Wow, you just dont get it.
    This is a security site, where commonly system admins or other support/technical gurus talk about how to stop exactly what you are trying to accomplish. But judging by your APs, it wont matter
    Remember -
    The ark was built by amatures...
    The Titanic was built by professionals.

I know a lot of people don't agree with your posts. I don't either. I'm not going to bash you though. Maybe your admin can override something for you so you can d/l things like winamp. You are a newbie, and you don't have many posts. Good luck in your journies and use advice that you get from other members....it really works.
    I love pizza...........Do you?