Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need protection......

Need protection......

How can I really protect my computer against outside intrusion....
    ..Here I go and never will return.....

DONT USE THE INTERNET!!!
    LOCK IT IN A SAFE!!
    THROW IT AT THE BOTTOM OF THE OCEAN!!!

The most obvious answer is installing and properly configuring a good firewall. Are you on a network, or are you asking for a standalone PC connected to the net? There are other items that are essential to protect and secure a PC, including Antivirus software, the closing of non-needed ports, ensuring that your software is up-to-date with patches and hotfixes, etc. You can monitor your open ports with a program called Fport from Foundstone. You can run online scans of your machine to see if you are open to the Net, that type of thing. There are a good number of measures to take to secure a PC...
    - Maverick

stick around, kid, you'll learn something.
    firewalls, proxys, security updates and anitvirus protection is a good start.

here is a google search of network security for you.
    just like water off a duck\'s back... I AM HERE.

for CMOS help, check out my CMOS tut?

As has been said, use a firewall, either a personal firewall on your machine (if you have one) or use a second machine as a firewall (running openBSD or similar). Secure your operating system, doesn`t matter if its Windows or Linux, just secure the OS. And remember not to do anything silly like opening files sent from unknown people, giving out passwords etc...
    Quis custodiet ipsos custodes

....verry funny s0nIc...thanks a lot.........
    I have an antivirus and today I want to instal a firewall.....thanks for the support all of you.
    I don't know a lot of stuff about security and that was the motive why I ask for help....but I know to protect myself when I am online and to don't give my pass, opening unknown files and stuf, I know Social engieneering
    I have to agree whith black_death that the most efective method of protection is to know the ways "lammers" use to attack a sistem.
    thanks for the links black_death.
    I will try to read stuff from there.
    ..Here I go and never will return.....

If you dont have any money just go to www.webattack.com and just get a free firewall and free antivirus and like the previous members said stay up to date on your updates......better than no protection at all...

If you want to install a firewall. You should begin with ZoneAlarm at http://www.zonelabs.com/ (free and easy to use) then try Outpost http://www.agnitum.com/ (free and powerful).
    Check the tutorial forum here, you'll find a lot of useful texts.
    Life is boring. Play NetHack... --more--

another firewall

Personaly, I have found that the Sygate Personal Firewall works extrememly well. It is very easy to use, free, and works. It is available for download along with another edition to buy at www.sygate.com
    [shadow] The Reflection Of A Pool Does Not Reveal Its Depth[/shadow] [blur]-Anonymous[/blur]