Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Newbies vs. Addicts

There is a lot of good stuff coming out of this thread. Much saying don't put too much emphasis on the label next to a user name. For my own part I have 10 years experience in telecomms (does this mean I know nothing as I'm a newbie?) BUT I AM new to network security. In an earlier post I said that I was led to this site as a result of my studies to become a network security professional. My industry has changed and I need to change with it. I'm here to see what I can learn and bat ideas about with others in the same genre.

Regarding questions about hacking. If I build a network solution then I want to test it. The best way is to try to hack it. This seems to be a good place to ask how to do it. Though if someone is going to ask a straight hacking question they should qualify it by explaining why.

I was also an instructor in another unrelated subject, but never belittled someone for asking me 'stupid' questions. Reason? they won't ask when it is an important question nor will the others in the group.

I waffled on about 'ethical' questions in a previous post so I won't go there again Now you all know a bit more about me. I'd put a pic up but it would be banned under the public ugliness ordinance
    do unto others before they do unto you

Lightbulb Hrmph.....

I want to thank eeryone that supports my thread. To those that brought up my past threads: so I made a few mistakes....IT HAPPENS. If a post or thread is a month or so old, GET OVER IT. I created this thread for the sole purpose of giving those who are afraid to say something or don't know what to do a voice. I'm sorry if you interpret this to mean that I condone hacking Hotmail or whatever. I appreciated jdenny 's post
    I am a newbie. I'm here to learn and I'm glad if I can help other people. But lemme tell u somethin. I'm not THAT attached to the rank.
    I think the only difference between newbies and addicts is, like ebo pointed out (post #12), whether they care to read the FAQ or not. I mean whatever ur official rank is, ur a newbie unless you read and understand the FAQ.
    I once reminded a senior member to RTFM and google what he wanted to know:
    http://www.antionline.com/showthrea...3382#post563382
    Yeah, I understood the risk messing with a senior, and I'm not proud of what I've done, but I thought as a community member I really needed to remind him.
    So? Read and understand the FAQ. Dunno where to find it? I don't believe it. U can search it easily. And one more thing:
    How to not look stupid
    I will let you know about a few mistakes many new people make, so you can avoid the usual fare of newbie stuff. The title is just a joke . We were all new at one point and we have all made mistakes. Don't worry if you make a mistake, or someone appears angry about it, they are usually only joking around. The most common mistake is posting something in the wrong place. This takes a while to get used to, but before starting a new thread, take a quick glance at the forums list and see where it fits best. Another mistake commonly made is creating a thread already made. It's pretty difficult going through all the posts to see if the new thread idea you have already exists but do a quick scan or use the search function to search for the thread.
    Read it. Understand it. Let it guide you, if you will. ENOUGH NEGGING NEWBIES THAT ARE BEING PRODUCTIVE!

As for everything else brought up, I opened a whole can of worms I never intended to. If I insulted your intellegence or integrity or whatever, I'm sorry. But otherwise, u know my position.
    I love pizza...........Do you?

This is my opinion, but I think that more senior members should think back to when they were a newbie and remember what it was like before poking fun at less experienced member's questions. Instead of laughing at one for asking "How do you hack hotmail?", give them ISBN's or URL's where they can find that info on their own. Remember no one ever started at the top or knew all the knowlege.

Exclamation It's funny.....

all my negs seem to be from the same users over and over again, telling me my posts are useless and guess what? they are all high ranked members. if my posts were really that useless, would i have any greenies @ all? and if my posts are so useless, why do these same people waste their time by negging me? it just doesnt make sense! i'm also getting pms now that complain about the thread becuz certain people dont want to post their true feelings.
    powertoad5000 wrote on Today 02:52 AM:
    <grumpy>

Ok. I don't want to post this so I'm pm'ing it instead.
    quote:
    To those that brought up my past threads: so I made a few mistakes....IT HAPPENS. If a post or thread is a month or so old, GET OVER IT.
    I suppose you are directing this at my post in this thread. If you read my post, you may have a better understanding of why I brought them up.
    quote:
    becuz i know others, including myslef, who were negged by members w higher status for asking a valid question
    You saying you were negged for asking a valid question... you haven't asked any valid questions. And those two links in my post are the two questions you have asked while being here. That's the sole reason I brought it up.
    [qoute]
    quote:
    I appreciated jdenny's post
    So it's ok for a newbie to tell a senior to go google it and RTFM, but not vice versa? Sounds a bit hypocritical to me.
    quote:
    ENOUGH NEGGING NEWBIES THAT ARE BEING PRODUCTIVE!
    What has that got to do with anything? Notice that jdenny has a fair few antipoints. Look at sittingduck, he's a newbie, but he's also intelligent and knowledgeable - that's why he's got antipoints. No-one is negging newbies that are being productive.

The only problem I have with this thread is that you are basically saying it's wrong for addicts/seniors to neg/flame somebody for asking a simple question, and that simple questions are ok if the person asking it is a newbie. Well if they looked for about five seconds, there's a good chance that they'd find the answer on a site/search engine somewhere. That's my problem with this thread - you are more or less advocating laziness.
    quote:
    I Have an Idea!! Let's neg everyone because we don't like what they post, even if they are supporti ng a cause that other people are too afraid to post because they don't want to be negged! Then, lets give greenies to those that neg the people that a
    All right: That's bullshit. You might like to think that's what's happening, but it's not. I negged you on the first post of this thread, because I'm ****ing tired of whinging threads. They take the place of threads which could be interesting / informative / educational. Also, your argument made no sense to me - IMO it was unfounded and nonsensical.

You're not suporting a cause which I would stand up for. Say your thread was about seniors negging newbies for answering questions (or being productive), or addicts flaming newbies for asking legitimate questions (w/examples of this happening). That would be a cause worth supporting. Fortunately, that's not happening. And I wouldn't give greens to someone because they negged a specific other member - that's bullshit as well. How would I be able to tell if they gave reds to someone?
    I asked dumb questions/made dumb posts when I first got here - everyone does. I got flamed/negged for these posts. Did I post a whinge thread? No. Who gives a **** about antipoints. Who gives a **** about flaming. I laid back for a bit and stopped posting until I thought I could contribute properly. And now it's all good. You are getting all up-in-arms about newbies being flamed etc. Well here's what I say to you: you got negged/flamed, and they get negged/flamed...
    quote:
    IT HAPPENS
    quote:
    GET OVER IT
    </grumpy>

I'm not trying to scare you off or get you to leave, and I'd appreciate it if you didn't make this public, or post this in that thread (as aeallison decided would be prudent with my pm to him). If you still don't agree with me... then so be it. I just get the feeling that you don't understand where some of us are coming from with our replies to this thread.

Just some final things. The Antipoints system is meant to be anonymous:
    quote:
    By it's very nature, the AntiPoint system is anonymous. Users can rate posts without having to worry about backlash from the originating user.
    FAQ

Also, there's nothing cowardly about not tagging your negs. I have never got a tagged neg.

Also, many seniors/addicts look down on most one-line posts (with good reason). One, because mostly they are 'great work', 'nice tutorial', 'congratulations' i.e. they are useless. If you have to say something like that, do it in an antipoint. Also, it looks as if you are posting simply to up your post count and gain access to the Addicts forum. Just a FYI

Hopefully the rest of the time you spend here won't be as arduous as this early time has been. Good luck with your future posts

-toad

lets grow up and not send "hate pms", shall we?
    I love pizza...........Do you?

I'm opening a private conference room for this discussion,and sending keys to all thread subscribers,because I could see this quickly developing into an AP war and I think a lot of people are making valid points.If you aren't on the thread subscribers list,send me a pm and I'll send you a key.
    [shadow]I don\'t believe in anarchy.If you\'re not smart enough to beat the system it\'s your problem. [/shadow]

I read 1pizzaluvr4u hidden thread, and i think he shouldn't get nedded for posting this. Look at how much good that has come out of it. The newbies tell you higher ranked how they feel about them negging them, and the higher rank tells the newbies why they neg them. I actually like this post because i feel like a lot was worked out on this post. The higher ranked understands us now maybe not all of them but believe the ones that have concious understands us. As one of the good higher ranked people pointed out. AEALLISON said if he sees a newbie posting something that dow not make sense at all or has nothing to do with the purpose of this site, he will pm him or post on his thread giving the thread starter the link to the FAQ area. Now if we all can have some patience for newbies like aeallison is willing to have for them. We all will get a long just fine. Its not only the higher rabked some of us newbies got to admit it does get annoying to see other newbies posting up non-sense threads. I 100% DISAGREE THAT 1PIZZALUVR4U SHOULD GET NEGGED FOR POSTING THIS THREAD BECAUSE IT ACTUALLY HELPED A LOT FOR MANY OF US. :MAD:

THANKS A LOT 1PIZZALUVR4

i know i dont ever post in these but i feel as though i need to 1pizzaluvr4u PM do you know what that stands for ?(ie) private messages
    those private messages powertoad5000 sent you are suposed to be private and he gave you really good advice in them
    i dont see why you brung them in to the thread that was obviously a discussion between the 2 of you

i suppose i will be blamed for picking on new member to /me sighs

edit and to the negs i got

stop being a jack ass
    stop being a coward sign your name and maybe you can elaborate on the jack ass feel free to PM me

meep
    WTF does meep mean ?i would ask you to PM me but its obvious you are to stupid to understand that
    By the sacred **** of the sacred psychedelic tibetan yeti ....We\'ll smoke the chinese out
    The 20th century pharoes have the slaves demanding work
    http://muaythaiscotland.com/

Wow..This thread went on a mite too long.Especially considering there are TONS of threads like this.All of them accomplishing a little less than the last I believe.People talk about posts that accomplish nothing and take up space...Well heres the prime example.I just wasted way to much time reading this.(I know I'm the one to blame for that, but so many people were posting it seemed like something worth reading was bound to come up, and I did like the bit that powertoad posted.)Maybe people need to just get over all of this.Posts whining about negs or member status serve almost no purpose.Thats just my 2 cents, and considering I'm just a lurker it may not even be worth that much to most of you.
    \"Progress and conduct: I\'m afraid that I am severly dissapointed in God\'s works. All three of him have shown no tendency to improve and He merely sits at the back of the class talking to himselves. He has shown no interest in rugger, asked to be excused prayers, and moves in a mysterious way.\" - Ferndean School Report on God - The brand new Monty Python Book.

Red face

and I'd appreciate it if you didn't make this public, or post this in that thread
    /me sighs

i'm also getting pms now that complain about the thread becuz certain people dont want to post their true feelings.
    The reason I didn't post it here was because it was (mostly) off topic and I said everything I wanted to say in my first post. I had nothing new to add to the discussion in the thread. That's why I pm'ed you.

oh well...

[edit]hopefully this will get cleared up in the conference room [/edit]