Linux Compatability Question

Thread: Linux Compatability Question

Talking Linux Compatability Question

Hi all,

I am going to be installing Linux on my laptop at work since I am a one of two system administrators I can do this

My question for the masses is: It has to be able to connecto to our MS Exchange server currently running exchange 5.5 Does anyone know of an email package that works pretty good? I know there are a few out there I was just wondering who had some good experience with them.

Also, I was thinking of running outlook through WINE... Does this work pretty good?
    I know WINE works pretty nicely for me at home, but will it work to connect to our exchange server?

Thanks for the feedback!
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

Evolution has most of the core features of Outlook now, so I'm not sure exactly what you would gain by running Outlook in wine. Ximian is also supposed to be working on a lot of Exchange compatibility stuff, so you might look in on what they're up to.

If you do decide to run Outlook in wine, be very careful in how you configure your .winerc file and do not give wine any access to your home root directory. I recently posted an article about a guy who ran something in wine that he didn't intend to - Klez. And it hosed his home because it was set up as a share in wine. I'm too lazy to look up the URL, but it's here somewhere in the *nix discussions forum.
    Do what you want with the girl, but leave me alone!

Problemchild thanks for the heads-up. I will probably use the revolution product. I have it at home on my Redhat 8 installation and havn't tried using it with Exchange. I appreciate the feedback and will give it a try. I will post a follow-up if anyone is interested in how it works.
    Luck--TSM
    Atlanta, GA

thats a good idea that you are planning to install linux in your laptop and about your question is you will be able to connect to a Exchange server yes like problemchild said you can try Ximian conector, this is their ad :"Ximian™ Connector extends the functionality of Ximian Evolution, connecting UNIX and Linux users to email, calendars, group schedules, address books and tasks lists using existing Exchange 2000 servers. With Ximian Connector, Ximian Evolution functions as a MS Exchange 2000 Client, allowing UNIX and Linux clients become full participants in company-wide group scheduling and other collaborative tasks. "
    In my opinion I will rather find a linux application than use wine to run a windows base application but it's just my opinion.
    Good luck
    \"Knowledge is Power\"

If your MS Exchange admin runs IMAP, it's dead easy, most Linux mail packages will connect, no probs.

If your admin doesn't run IMAP, you could ask them to (after all, it is on an internal secure network, right?)

Otherwise you could ask them to run the web connector and buy the commercial Ximian connector for exchange (this is the only way you'll get calendars, etc)

But for mail, IMAP works fine, really.