Thread: Zonealarm installed?

Zonealarm installed?

Hey good people. I was wondering if any of you ever had a problem where you are prompted with a message stating that you have another Firewall installed (Zonealarm Pro) when you startup Outpost. I have been getting this for the last couple of weeks, but I didn't even have Zonealarm on my machine. This is weird. I don't see any indication of malicious activity and what not, and I am not able to find a process associated with Zonealarm. What is Outpost talking about? Could it be that the software was pushed to me somehow or something - I wouldn't think so, or I would have at least been prompted to install it. Any help would be appreciated.

t2k2
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

When I switched from Zonealarm to Outpost I got an error message. While you don't have zonealarm on your machine, I have attached this link so you can check the registry to see if there are any files associated with zonealarm. If you have ever used zonealarm there are a lot of registry keys that don't uninstall when you uninstall the program.

Each version of windows installs different registry keys so choose the uninstall version that works with your OS.

Hope this helps.

I'll try to tackle this, when u install ZoneAlarm and then uninstall guess what all the settings are still there...BUT I am not sure if ZA keeps certain files on your system that would prevent you from using another Firewall. My suggestion look at ZA's site, and go through program files, see if ZA folder still there, I'd say check Registery, but I dont want you messing with it and really messing up ur system, so stick to basic troubleshooting.
    [gloworange]I pLaY mY eNeMyS lIkE a ChEsS.[/gloworange]

Have you EVER installed ZoneAlarm? Maybe, if you installed it before, there could be a file or log file left from it. It all depends on quite a few things, first up, what OS are you using? I'll try to help but your right, it is awfully strange.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Here is some information I found in the Agnitum forums, it may provide some help.

Cheers:
    DjM

Developer Extraordinar
    I had nearly the same problem. I had ZoneAlarm on, when I relized I didn't like it, and I's rather a better firewall, I uninstalled it. Restarted my computer, downloaded another one. Installed it resarted my computer (Happens alot dosn't it. :s) Then when I tried to access the internet it wouldn't load, there was no modem activty. I figured it was my ISP down, so I let it be, and went up stiars. A few hours later I came back. And it still didn't wotk so I called up Eastlink (My ISP) and asked then what was going on in my area with the service. They said nothing, and I told them my internet wasn't working. They asked my the last thing I did, and I told then I uninstalled ZA and installed another firewall, they told me it was my networking card. So I went out an bought a new one. And it still didn't work, so here I am stuck with two networking card, and broken internet. No one knew what was wrong, then we and the person on the other line figured it was ZA that I had just installed, but in the end I ended up re-installing Windows. And it worked. . But I suggest going to that link DjM gave you. I went there, and I wish I'd have known that when uninstalling ZA. good chouce to get another firewall. Anyways enough of my story. Follow the link. Do what it says restart. You should be fine.

MicroBurn

Well, I have never installed it on my machine. I am using XP Home on this machine. Very strange. That would make sense if it actually weaves itself so tight into the OS, but I haven't even installed it????
    Opinions are like holes - everybody\'s got\'em.

Smile

Developer Extraordinar
    Hm...maybe you got the dll's somehow. Try following the guide, just incase. Maybe a program installed some of the files...