Thread: m-o-o-t

Oouch, I have probably been in my protected dreamworld a long time since I got so surpriced today when I read a article in the magazine "Network & Communication".

The fact that big brother is watching over us is no big news but that there can be a "privacy" solution at the same time was a great surprice. But as all good surprices does also this solution have a dark side..

Q: Who can use this solution ?
    A: Everybody will have access to this OS even terrorists and other bad elements.

Comment: "It's a scary world out there better hide amongst my computers again."

Source: m-o-o-t
    RIPAPart3 is the new law here in the UK that gives the Government the right to demand the plaintext and/or keys of "information protected by encryption". This includes intercepted communications, information on hard discs in PC's, and information stored on servers. And your PGP/RSA private keys...

Laws of this type are being introduced around the world, so we started m-o-o-t [note, 24/5/02: the UK is the only "free" country to have done so]

m-o-o-t is an open-design, open-source cryptography project begun to defeat RIPAPart3 and make it look silly, and to allow UK citizens to communicate and to store information without worrying about it. It will also defeat Carnivore and the Australian and proposed NZ and Council of Europe laws.

We are doing this so people can be private elsewhere than in our heads. We object to the idea that people should not be allowed to seek privacy from governments.

Eventually we intend to incorporate the knowledge and ideas learned in this project into a programme that will defeat any such law, worldwide.
    What is RIPA and what is the purpose behind it ?

Source: RIPA

Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000

The Regulation of Investigatory Powers (RIP) Bill was introduced in the House of Commons on 9th February 2000 and completed its Parliamentary passage on 26 July. The Bill received Royal Assent on 28 July.

The Regulation of Investigatory Powers Act 2000 (RIPA) updates the law on the interception of communications to take account of technological change such as the growth of the Internet. It also puts other intrusive investigative techniques on a statutory footing for the very first time; provides new powers to help combat the threat posed by rising criminal use of strong encryption; and ensures that there is independent judicial oversight of the powers in the Act.

In the USA the NSA (National Security Agency?) Intercepts some 99.9999% of all internet traffic with in our border? How's that for big brother- I've heard this from many people, is this true. Maybe i should have started my own thread? Anyway- Big Brother's power is rarely justified!!!
    yeah, I\'m gonna need that by friday...