Thread: ntfs partition ==> user rights

ntfs partition ==> user rights

hey guys

its me again , the linux noob .
    Got a problem , it might not be security related but its going into the right direction.
    To get to the point :

i mounted my ntfs( winxp) partition with linux ...(mount -t ntfs /dev/hda1 mnt/winxp)

i can view the files in mnt/winxp when i am in a shell as root.

now , i want to view the files when i am in user mode ( pieter = user ) in the graphical interface ( not in shell )
    when i try to acces the dir ( winxp ) i can view the files he sais = reason no permission ..

ok no problem so i tried to "chown" the rights of the dir ....
    command : chown pieter bla bla bka

doesnt change anything...

does anybody knows what i am suppose to do ?

2 question : wine
    i extracted these wine files in the home/pieter/documents/wine
    now i am suppose to be able to execute exe files in a shell with the command
    wine "file.exe"
    doesnt work .... :-(
    what did i do wrong , do i need other files , do i need to replace them ...
    is it also possible to use wine with a graphical interface

thx in advance ,
    greetz

ive never tried to so anything like this, but it sounds like what youre doing is similar to a samba server system or you are running a samba server

i think XP would see your unix root account as an administrator account with full priviledges, you could try making an account on your XP box with the same name as your otehr unix account, then give it full admin rights and see if that works, then from there you could use computer management (i think) to put that user in a group or give them particular user rights for the files on the XP machine, sort of like a remote login on the xp box i guess

The Linux NTFS driver ignores NTFS permissions and treats every file on the volume as having the same set of permissions. These can be set at mount time with the mount options uid= gid= umask=

Mount options are typically set up in /etc/fstab

If you want to be able to access the files as another user, change the uid, gid or umask mount options so that the apparent unix permissions of the files allows you do access them.

Operations which change the unix permissions of a file will fail (or perhaps just not do anything) on a NTFS volume. This is because NTFS file permissions are inherently incompatible with unix ones, so Linux doesn't even attempt to map them.

Unlike what mrleachy says, it is NOT similar to running samba, which does make an attempt to map unix permissions on to NTFS ones.

As far as wine is concerned, if you extracted a source code distribution of wine, you will need to build and install it, possibly followed by some configuration.

I've used wine and it's easy enough, but does require some setup. It assigns windows drive letters to various parts of your filesystem (which are configurable) and needs a virtual "windows" directory (although this need not be a real windows directory).

If it's all set up properly, you can just do wine whatever.exe (although there's not guarantee that a program will work correctly under wine - many don't - many others work with a certain amount of glitches)

As you're a newbie I'd recommend getting and installing an already built binary as an RPM (or whatever your distro uses) and then trying that.