Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tired of newbies?

Tired of newbies?

The subject of this thread might be a little hypocritical considering that I am a newbie...

To all the people who are tired of hearing irrelevant questions or tuts on hacking hotmail, I hear you. I dont know if this has been suggested before, but one of the main attractions to AO is for the downloads. I remember searching in Google for "AIM punters" (I know, lame) and was linked here.

JP, how about either--gasp--deleting the AIM section, or just adding one of those <NOLINK> scripts or whatever to repel search engine crawlers?

Just my suggestion.... Thatll kill a couple newbs from signin up
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

I know that this topic has been covered before, and I've usually reserved judgement because I know what it can be like to be the newbie. Having newbies is not all that bad. In fact, it is good if they are willing to expand the pool of knowledge. It's those that seem to suffer from defacto form of retardation that are a pain.
    Would it kill people to read a manual? Would it kill them to read a FAQ? I hardly believe so.
    I am not totally against your suggestion, but I don't think that this is going to help solve the problem at hand. That problem is that the people asking the lame questions are just lazy, pure and simple. If they can't bring it upon themselves to read a simple FAQ or the previous posts with the exact same content, then they, and their related posts should just be ignored.

Just my opinion.

Regards.
    \"I believe that you can reach the point where there is no longer any difference between developing the habit of pretending to believe and developing the habit of believing.\"

You see i have to disagree with what you have just posted. You are a newbie i am a newbie, and there is a whole lot of newbies in here and a whole lot of addicts, senior members, members. That is what this site is about you come here as a newbie learn from the higher ranked people and then move up to be in a higher ranking. When you move up you get a chance to help those people that saw links on google.com and decided that this site is kind of interesting. Now if he " kills a couple newbs from signin up" then this site wouldn't be the same, and if somebody had suggested this to him early then you might not have been here. If you didn't know not everybody just one day says " Oh i'm going to go to antionline.com" people research this. I believe that is how many people finds out. So if JP had killed some " newbs" from signing up; you my friend wouldn't be here today so i can't agree.

I would have to disagree with you too.

You yourself have came here from a search for "AIM Punters" and now seem to have realized that this is considered <quote> Lame </quote>

What I am trying to say is that many may come here under simular circumstances, and hopefuly walk away with a better understanding of computer ethics. Even if they make a stupid post like "How do I hack my girlfriends comp" or "Where can I get some cool viruses" and get flamed and/or banned for it -- if they walk away understanding why then their arrival at this site was worthwhile in some sense. Atleast there would be one more person out there that might recognize kiddy bull crap, and themselves be turned away from "The Darkside."

Sorry if it was hard to comprehend what I am trying to get to, but I'm trying to write my philosophy paper right now and as you can see I am having no luck with words tonight.

Yeah I disagree with you too!!!! Either u dont know what u talking about or is it that u are insane or something!!! Hey im a newbie and all the newbies need help of whatever they need too thats why we got all the junior and seniors members so they can help us with whatever the topic is about... cause senior members i know they started to be a newbie and thats comense sence and thats just the way it flows newbies becomes to higher level helping others this is what the website is all about!!!
    [glowpurple]LilDraganon the power of the @[/glowpurple]
    [glowpurple]I am the one who trains like a maniac to have the power to force his opponent body into the shape of a pretzel and gently pin him down to the mat so his mommy can come and cuttle him![/glowpurple]

I realize that I was a little to general, but thanks for contradicting me anyway. Yes, most newbs are legit, but the few who aren't usually come for the wrong reasons.
    It\'s 106 miles to Chicago, we\'ve got a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it\'s dark and we\'re wearing sunglasses.

Hit it!

Originally posted here by Showtime8000
    I realize that I was a little to general, but thanks for contradicting me anyway. Yes, most newbs are legit, but the few who aren't usually come for the wrong reasons.
    I also have to disagree with your first post. You see, while I am a computer virus researcher, I am from the "old" school of DOS and Windows 3.1 so the newer virii are - basically - a mystery to me. I originally found this sight from looking for computer virus sights and have actually learned more here than I have from most other sights. Yes <blush> I started out on those other sights as a KRAD 3L3T3 (or whatever you type it), but here I've learned that being "ELETE" means being responsible. And for a 41 year old "hacker (and I use the term loosely here) that is a hard thing for me to "swallow," the concept of responsibility. Now, however I have a child that I would like to be a productive member of society, and I hope that she - as she grows and learns - will use every resource at her fingertips ( even if it IS only trying to find whatever for what ever reason - good or bad) to learn that sense of responsibility herself.

The reasons for arriving here are many. What you do once you are here is your own choice. You can - like some who come - try to be "KOOL" and act like something you are not, or you can do what I am (fairly)sure a lot of people do who come here and "lurk" to learn. Read the FAQs, read the messages in the forums, and in general be willing to look for answers rather than having them handed to you on a platter.

That last, BTW, does not apply to you as far as I see. At least you render an opinion and accept feedback for that opinion. A lot of people don't. Good luck with your stay here and learn many things <g>.

James
    [gloworange] Windows XP = Windows Xtra Problems[/gloworange]

If you would prevent newbies from signing up then the site would stop growing and then there would be no idea to have it wouldn't it, cuz if everyone would be seniors who knew everything then the site would not get as many questions and posts..

Banned

Yeah I disagree with you too!!!!
    If that's what you believe Showtime8000, you shouldn’t be in AO. In order to learn and implement security, newbies need to understand how computers are hacked in the first place. Just because you understand things better than others newbies doesn’t mean that, newbies cannot ask lame questions. If you don’t like it you should put up with it or go else where. People like you are the ones who love to solve the crime without trying to understand how it was done in the first place. You should learn to understand the Dark Side better to be an expert in solving and avoiding it.Then you be the MASTER !!!

paladin

Originally posted here by paladin

Yeah I disagree with you too!!!!
    If that's what you believe Showtime8000, you shouldn’t be in AO. In order to learn and implement security, newbies need to understand how computers are hacked in the first place. Just because you understand things better than others newbies doesn’t mean that, newbies cannot ask lame questions. If you don’t like it you should put up with it or go else where. People like you are the ones who love to solve the crime without trying to understand how it was done in the first place. You should learn to understand the Dark Side better to be an expert in solving and avoiding it.Then you be the MASTER !!!

paladin
    Actually, paladin, I have to disagree with you regarding whether Showtime8000 should be here or not. As you said... newbies (and I include you in this - no offense) DO need to understand computers. How they are hacked, how to prevent them, and how to ask questions or make comments without getting flamed or put down, Showtime8000 has a valid point in that I've seen a lot of new users here who seem to be obsessed with "haccking Hotmail", hacking in general or just plain Computer destruction. Most of them, once they learn just what this site is about learn that there is MORE to computers than destruction. They learn the TRUE meaning of "HACKING" which is to learn the most they can about a system of their choice and learn to make it better, not destroy it. :-)

Everyone here is entitled to their opinion, even showtime8000 or me. Whether it is misguided or wrong is a subjective opinion that others must make. But to even appear to exclude someone because they express an opinion is wrong. Sure, I could, and would, flame someone who wants to hack a system for personal or stupid reasons <grin> but when someone asks me how to PREVENT it, I'd be more than happy to tell tehm if I know that answer.

I think Show was expressing an opinion about the ones who ask :how can I hack hotmail" or how can I get into "my" account on XXX system because I forgot my password. ;-). You know... THOSE kinds of questions. .

You know... Sure I could tell someone how to WRITE a virus, but I would MUCH rather tell them how to either avoid, or recover from a virus if I have that answer.

As I said in my earlier post here... I would rather my daughter - once she is old enough - be willing to ask questions, form and express opinions, and be willing to learn, even if it is in a manner that I might personally disapprove of. Experience is a VERY hard instructor, and most people refuse to even listen. Know what I mean?
    [gloworange] Windows XP = Windows Xtra Problems[/gloworange]