Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Types Of Programmers

iz really too bad here man, now can somebody explain this ?
    somebody ****in negged me sayin' that i copied the post from here -

http://www.oyvind.dk/texts/nerds.htm

i guess that makes it very much a statement that we cant judge anybody with their antipoints.
    sorry if i'm being a rebel.

dont complain about antipoints, suck it up and get on with life.

as for what 'type' i am, i think im in the 'young'n thinkin we can be like the guys in <hackers> and end up programming obsessively' category. when i was like 9(not that long ago) i thought i wanted to be like 'crashoverride' and 'acidburn' in Hackers: the movie, how wrong i was now i probably have read more pages in combined programming manuals than most scholars read in all their years of college, and im only 15.... :P
    I did not come here to tell you how it is going to end, I came here to tell you how it was going to begin. I\'m going to hang up this phone, then I\'m going to tell these people what you don\'t want them to hear.

thank you much, the_jinx, good i got one true friend, huh

What you wrote:
    Hippie programmers have long hair and deliberately, even pridefully, ignore the seasons in their choice of clothing. They wear shorts and sandals in the winter and t-shirts all the time. Nerds are neat little anal-retentive men with penchants for short-sleeved shirts and pocket protectors. Nerds carry calculators; hippies borrow calculators. Nerds use decongestant nasal sprays; hippies snort cocaine. Nerds typically know forty-six different ways to make love but don't know any women. Hippies know women.
    What I read on www.oyvind.dk:
    The hippies have long hair. They deliberately, almost proudly, ignore the seasons in their choice of clothes. They wear shorts and sandals in winter and T-shirt all the year round. The nerds are tightassed perfectionists who prefer short-sleeved shirts and trouser pockets with zippers. The nerds carry calculators. The hippies borrow calculators. The nerds sniffle and uses nasal sprays when they have caught a cold. The hippies sniff cocaine. The nerds typically know 117 ways of making love, but don't know any girls. The hippies know the girls."
    I have directly cut-and-pasted.these passages from thier respective sources.

This is plagarism. Sorry if you're too thick-headed to realize this, but the alteration of five words does not constitute an original article. Try this is University and you'll be expelled. Try it in the corporate world and you'll be sued. Try it here and you'll be negged. Looks like you're getting of easy here, kid. Time to buy a fire extinguisher, I think.
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

striek boy, you think you are an oldie ? lol
    this is not the first place ive written this article at
    ive written it at security-forums, cheetachat forums, my own website, this is the fourth.
    There is full evidence that this maybe the source code, and that, that .dk website be the copier, so you dont really have to advocate. And also, if you think, by matching one paragraph, one can say that the whole work is copied, it's really great , imaginative thinking ..
    If you like the post, say it, if you dont like it, shut up. In short, mind your own business

In other words, you think that so long as my opinion doesn't agree with yours, I have no right to post it?

Okay. maybe you DID write that article. Then you's got some 'splainin' to do...

The author of that book, Acciddental Empires, is Robert X. Cringley, a television personality on PBS. You are the CEO of Zero-in technologies, a company based in Nashua, New Hampshire, yet you live in New Delhi. Robert X. Cringley was studying at Stanford when you were born. But then again, maybe a former Stanford student stole the article from you... If he did, then why would HarperBusiness allow it to be published?

Maybe you could point me to your website and tell me where the article is.

And why didn't you provide actual proof instead of simply insulting me?

Please, prove me wrong. I would admit defeat gracefully. Besides, I enjoy a good battle of wits...
    Government is like fire - a handy servant, but a dangerous master - George Washington
    Government is not reason, it is not eloquence - it is force. - George Washington.

Join the UnError community!

Talking

sorry, but i think striek's evidence is alittle more convincing....

Re: What about the girly programers??

Originally posted here by mathgirl32
    Surely we must have "types", too! :-)
    Yeah, there are the "little old schoolteacher" programmers who
    know COBOL and FORTRAN, and used to work for NASA
    in the 1960s. They look over at you and give you the "evil eye"
    if you look like you're having too much fun.

And then there are the anarchist/goth/wicca girls who specialize
    in creating incomprehensible websites.

And of course, don't forget the "soccer mom programmers", who,
    on top of raising 4 kids and working full time as IT admins at the bank,
    are running their own small business, active in local politics
    and maintaining their "relationship" with their significant other.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

And also, if you think, by matching one paragraph, one can say that the whole work is copied, it's really great , imaginative thinking
    How about matching up more than one paragraph? Sitll imgainative thinking? Interesting that the person that stole your "work" and posted it here gave the credit to Robert X. Cringley.

http://www.unix-girl.com/blog/archives/000364.html
    If you receive something that says \'Send this to everyone you know,\' pretend you don\'t know me.

Old Fart
    I'm going to make this as plain and simple as possible, so there is NO CONFUSION.

On THIS group of forums, the ACCEPTED practice is to credit your sources, no exceptions. It doesn't matter how you give credit...it can be a link, a short description of the book or magazine (author and title) where you got the material, even the occasional "author unknown" is OK. When you fail to do this, you are viewed as taking credit for someone elses work or in a word, a thief.

A simple edit on your part would have easily cleared all of this up, but instead you whine and rail against those attempting to assist you by showing you what is acceptable here. No one cares about how many other forums you've posted this on...we only care about this one, and we care to the point of demanding integrity from each other...that includes you. If you don't like the way it's done here (and I'm not trying to be rude) then the simple solution would be to not post.

<EDIT> You (or that is, the REAL author) left out a catagory....the "Gates" programmers....the ones who see someone elses work and egomaniacally take possession of it to call it their own and get sooooo very defensive when someone attempts to expose their misdeeds. Hmmmmm....sound familier?
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...